Intrepid CS100

AshbyCut

Although I have a small but growing collection of Intrepid reels (11 models now), the one which I acquired today is a new on on me.

In cream with brown spool and handle, it's obviously an update on the old "Black Prince" with modified internals. The lettering style on the foil label which is stuck around the handle base looks very '70's so it's probably a late Falmouth product.

If anyone could help me date this reel, or spot an advert for it, I would be most grateful.

001.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesters is the guy for this thread :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

CHESTERS1.......?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'll never understand the minds of enthusiasts and collectors,

Why would anyone want to own or fish with such tat ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

i never understand the minds of tackle tarts who pay out 100-200 for a reel when a 20 quid ebay one will do the same job. When it's done get another. Saves servicing costs as well. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Although I have a small but growing collection of Intrepid reels (11 models now), the one which I acquired today is a new on on me.

In cream with brown spool and handle, it's obviously an update on the old "Black Prince" with modified internals. The lettering style on the foil label which is stuck around the handle base looks very '70's so it's probably a late Falmouth product.

If anyone could help me date this reel, or spot an advert for it, I would be most grateful.

001.jpg

It was produced from about 1978 until 1980

Your collection has a little way to go theres "about" 70 models as the tradename is still alive

As for Kens ,"tat" yes they were but affordable tat a kid could buy cheaply

Intrepid wasnt about high quality reels (althougb some were world beating in design) they were about cheap bigh volume sales,i,l see if i can find an add but they are scarce

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It looks a lot like the Intrepid Boy'o; a popular lad's reel from the seventies. Lot's of mates had them, but they felt like you were retrieving by one individual turn at a time - a bit like the miller from Trumpton, if you know what I mean. They also jammed up - without warning - although this may have been a function of a lack of maintenance rather than anything else. The Boy'o's shown in blue in these pics, although I only seem to remember seeing them in black. Maybe they had an upgrade at some point?

Boy'o reel

I started out with a used model of the Intrepid New Deluxe 3010 (the one with the red handle) ; bought from a mate (together with a fibreglass Avon rod) for the princely sum of a pound! Perhaps an upgrade from the Boy'o, it wasn't as bad as some cheap reels of the period. It had a line roller on the bail, which was a decided step up from the Intrepid brand cheapies, but whether it worked was another matter entirely.

New Deluxe 3010

I can see the nostalgic value of such a collection, but perhaps not as usable classics - they were a bit rough and ready in the first place :D.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

heres an add but for the 200 not your 100 ,always after adds anyone please

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66064212/SEALY%20ADD.jpg

the "CS" was an ordinary spool but the "SK" was a skirted spool version

yes they were boyo clones (the 100 ) which were themselves crude (if they could get cruder) versions of the black prince

i have used both intrepid rods and reels for brief periods as a bit of nostalgia ,the awful coloured rods were not that bad (they ofcourse had sealey heritage albeit cheaper in all ways) and my green supertwin worked fine ,i still use tackle from that era anyway having never bettered abu closed faces nor fiberglass rods ,i tend not to buy new until the old no longer works ,the tackle in question will outlast me unlike the new tat

i once bought a brand new intrepid as i was on holiday and forgot my mitchell 410 ,it was a diplomat and i used it spinning for pike ,first strike and the whole spool and flyer fell off ,the replacement though was fine for years but not used in such harsh extremes

Morritt was a great innovator his early reels the best featured you could get but he rightly or wrongly decided on cheap rather than taking on the might of mitchell which had a huge european following as well as the uk and america

most of what is standard on a reel today were his inventions but by the time the featured reel was about most were imports which started with gladding in the early 70's

there was actually an even smaller reel than the 100 the SK 50 ,i haven't any details about it other than it was made in japan nor indeed if a CS version existed

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66064212/DSCF2614.JPG

i suspect it was part of a fishing kit as it came with a telescopic intrepid rod ,the kits in plastic boxes where the box costs more than the contents which still seems the norm in most things today :D

forgive the dust the Mrs is strictly forbidden to get a duster anywhere near them as she has a habit of breaking them and isnt clever enough to hide the remains so i dont spot them as i have so many now i need a list to keep up with what i have i probably wouldn't notice some missing for a while

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Many thanks to Chesters1 for the invaluable information.

In response to Ken L I'd simply say that one man's tat is another man's treasure, and I get great pleasure from using these reels My first reel when I was 10 in 1961 was an Intrepid Monarch MkII., and this was used with a basic glass rod for everything from small roach in the brickwork pond near my home in the Midlands to spinning for mackerel from south coast beaches on family caravan holidays. Back then I lusted after a split cane rod and a "Match Aerial," both of which I am now fortunate to own and use.

Intrepids usable? Not for everyone, perhaps, but for me definitely yes. None of my reels are 'display only,' from my most basic Intrepid to my Greys "Bewick" and Mitchell 300c's. I sometimes use my Intrepid 3 1/2 inch "Match,", my 3 1/2 inch "Fly," and regularly use my pair of "Prince Regents." I will be using the CS100 ... and I will smile all the time I'm using it. After all, to me "fishing is not just about catching fish."

Thanks to all the gentlemen who have responded to my post ... I wish you all joy in your angling.