Spain filches shipwreck treasure

Phone

You can have the moon but that yellow metal is captivating,theres nothing ,ike it a shining and a glittering to the eye,and it usually has a profit to it although theres more gold in them thar phones than in them thar hills
There is gold on the moon. This discovery was made by the NASA LCROSS (Lunar Crater Observer and Sensing Satellite) mission. Just because it is there does not mean that it will ever be economically viable to go to the moon's south pole to dig a strip mine it and transport it back to terra firma though.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory,

Like Spain, we simply broke the treaty. We're good at that, ask the Am. Indians.

As for me beliefs. I don't believe we should have the moon. I believe we "layed claim".

It's OK with me if Spain keept the "cultural treasures" too. It's handy these treasurers are made of gold and silver innit.

Phone

Cory,

Like Spain, we simply broke the treaty. We're good at that, ask the Am. Indians.

As for me beliefs. I don't believe we should have the moon. I believe we "layed claim".

It's OK with me if Spain keept the "cultural treasures" too. It's handy these treasurers are made of gold and silver innit.

Phone

No you never "laid claim" to the moon. Never at no time. On the contrary America has been one of the staunchest defenders of international treaties on space.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Capt,

Why would'n a now "free Peru" have the same claim as you allege for Spain. What else do you want back - Florida?

Phone

Because the coins were Spanish. Peru was part of Spanish territory at the time.

I don't "allege" a claim for Spain....Your own courts confirmed it. And then confirmed it again. Several times. Through several appeals.

You are wasting your time here phone, if you have any argument/information about the case you should have contacted Odyssey.....They would have been glad of any legal points, that their high paid lawyers couldn't think up. :lol:

Because the coins were Spanish. Peru was part of Spanish territory at the time.

I don't "allege" a claim for Spain....Your own courts confirmed it. And then confirmed it again. Several times. Through several appeals.

You are wasting your time here phone, if you have any argument/information about the case you should have contacted Odyssey.....They would have been glad of any legal points, that their high paid lawyers couldn't think up. :lol:

The legal outcome of the claim would have been no different if the vessel had foundered inside the US 12 mile zone. "Finders keepers" does not form any part of maritime salvage law.

Capt,

Pretty lame - the (US) courts simply said it is a "political" issue. You peaked my interest. In post #1 I was just "pimping" you a little. However I subsequently found the following URL interesting. Odd, how we learn from simple beginnings isn't it?

http://lawreview.wustl.edu/inprint/86/1/Curfman.pdf

As for the booty - The coins were made from raw material obtained from mines that are currently on Peruvian soil and were struck at the Lima mint.

You gonna share? Peru is sensitive to "culture" too.

Cory,

I'm surprised at you. A stickler for the "facts" you should have known the ship was sunk off the coast of Portugal - not Spain. Forget the fact that the 12 mile limit wasn't internationally established in 1982. I didn't look, but I wonder how many countries signed that treaty?

Phone

As for the booty - The coins were made from raw material obtained from mines that are currently on Peruvian soil

Phone

But at the time...were on Spanish soil. :rolleyes:

Phone...We won... Odyssey lost, get over it....They are now trying it on with the British. Hopefully they will act quickly and decisively to defend their interests too. :thumbs:

Capt,

Pretty lame - the (US) courts simply said it is a "political" issue. You peaked my interest. In post #1 I was just "pimping" you a little. However I subsequently found the following URL interesting. Odd, how we learn from simple beginnings isn't it?

http://lawreview.wustl.edu/inprint/86/1/Curfman.pdf

As for the booty - The coins were made from raw material obtained from mines that are currently on Peruvian soil and were struck at the Lima mint.

You gonna share? Peru is sensitive to "culture" too.

Cory,

I'm surprised at you. A stickler for the "facts" you should have known the ship was sunk off the coast of Portugal - not Spain. Forget the fact that the 12 mile limit wasn't internationally established in 1982. I didn't look, but I wonder how many countries signed that treaty?

Phone

Phone

I'm fairly sure, but not 100% certain that where the vessel was sunk is IMMATERIAL.

Edited by corydoras

Phone

I'm fairly sure, but not 100% certain that where the vessel was sunk is IMMATERIAL.

That is my understanding too.

At the end of the day the case was tried, appealed, and final verdicts reached. All using the law as it stands at this moment.

Waste of time arguing over any of the fine points, as i cannot see that the lawyers involved would have missed anything.

That is my understanding too.

At the end of the day the case was tried, appealed, and final verdicts reached. All using the law as it stands at this moment.

Waste of time arguing over any of the fine points, as i cannot see that the lawyers involved would have missed anything.

It's more than 20 years since I was at sea, but I don't think the legislation has changed much since then. Stuff that gets washed ashore is a different ball game, but stuff lying on the bottom usually belongs to someone.