destroying the genepool?

chesters1

Yes but now its mined on a commercial scale in the bronze age it was mined when needed,if you produce on a commercial scale theres far more copper than needed by self sufficiant groups of bronze age size

Not sure of the numbers but i guess theres just as few people today that can make decent bronze than in the past???

I,m just musing on why some people excel at things ,is it the genes ? Can you train a non singer to sound like a naturally good singer? Do people do things because their genes "make" them if theres real choice IE your choice isnt limited by birth or situation, does a really good miner become a really good lumberjack if theres no mines

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you train a non singer to sound like a naturally good singer?
My ex-wife, who went to conservitoire in France will tell you yes they can. The same with musical instruments. Everybody can be taught to sing or play an instrument well, you just have to start them young and get them to practice every day. My ex did 4 hours guitar EVERY day from the age of about 5.

Can you turn a salty old sea dog into an IT person? I did. There was a guy on my It course who had been a bin-man until he was 30. During the course he discovered that he was brilliant at mathematics. He is now a professor of mathematics at one of the universities in Glasgow.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Chesters1,

I think there is a genetic pre-disposition to risk taking. But, alas, it's not likely we will wait for genetics to determine our fate. Go swim with a shark.

Ohh, history does suggest we are by nature herd animals. That doesn't discount the possibility of a cumudgeon rogue. You're just not "normal".

Cory,

If you are saying you can clearly segregrate genetics from the environment by observation - I doubt it. I.E. external forces can "cause" blue eyes in the next generation. Other drugs can interupt synapsis of gray matter for one generation. Idiot drugies can still produce generationaly skipped brilliance. On and on. I'd say, again, without the "net" a trend in the human condition is - what? - 20 generations or more?

Tell your wife I am biologically tone deaf.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Chesters1,

I think there is a genetic pre-disposition to risk taking. But, alas, it's not likely we will wait for genetics to determine our fate. Go swim with a shark.

Ohh, history does suggest we are by nature herd animals. That doesn't discount the possibility of a cumudgeon rogue. You're just not "normal".

Cory,

If you are saying you can clearly segregrate genetics from the environment by observation - I doubt it. I.E. external forces can "cause" blue eyes in the next generation. Other drugs can interupt synapsis of gray matter for one generation. Idiot drugies can still produce generationaly skipped brilliance. On and on. I'd say, again, without the "net" a trend in the human condition is - what? - 20 generations or more?

Tell your wife I am biologically tone deaf.

Phone

She'd tell you that you can sing. The French have a saying "Le mot impossible n'est pas français".

Oh the blue eye thing. Tell me the clour of the eyes of a caucasian couple and I'll tell you exactly what the odds are that their offspring will have blue eyes. (clue for chesters its not 50%)

What do you mean by a "trend"? 20 genarations is roughly 400 years.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

Exactly what I mean, - - - 400 years (at least!) before a "genetic condition" is confirmed (i.e. ear size).

Ah haa! I love it when you say "exactly" followed by "likelyhood" (odds). I've determined Chesters1 would be happy with one of each, blue, green and brown.

Phone

Cory,

Exactly what I mean, - - - 400 years (at least!) before a "genetic condition" is confirmed (i.e. ear size).

Ah haa! I love it when you say "exactly" followed by "likelyhood" (odds). I've determined Chesters1 would be happy with one of each, blue, green and brown.

Phone

Ok heres an example; Parent A has Brown (Hazel) coloured eyes. Parent B also has Brown (Hazel eyes) odds on them having a baby with blue eyes is precisely 25%. Not 24.75% or 25.5% but exactly 25% or 1/4 if you prefer.. Not sure about your 400 years thing, it seems way to short (I think it needs at least another 0 on the end), but I'll do some digging.

Cory,

Phone

well i'm prety sure he has the brown eye but not sure on the other two :rolleyes:

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

well i'm prety sure he has the brown eye but not sure on the other two :rolleyes:

Cheers Fred

I'm sure there is a song about that ;)

I'm sure there is a song about that ;)

Sure is, Van the Man

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

I was thinking of this.

Youtube Video ->