Summer's not too far away

Rusty

I fancy a bit of chubbing, but I'm not sure how it will look if we get rain - I bet it's lovely now.

The bit of the Thames I would go to has wetness today but after that dry and mild'ish until mid next week, Tuesday would be the best bet I think. I had something planned for Tuesday now what was it?........ah yes, going to work :(

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say what effect the rain will have - the river near me is looking perfect right now but is still on the high side, so if a lot falls quickly it could rise sharply again. It depends what happens upstream. It'll be 'warm' water though, so not the worst thing. If it rises and colours up I'd fish for roach (or barbel, down your way?), if not I'd fish for chub. If I had to guess, I think it'll rise slightly, not colour too much, and start dropping again quickly. This arctic spell will have created a nice gap in the natural food, so they ought to be very catchable after an influx of warmer water :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Quite uncanny that Steve W and I were taking pics of the same bit of Wingham sky at about the same time, was he drinking Merlot too I wonder?

An Aussie Shiraz, as I recall!

An Aussie Shiraz, as I recall!

P^%s heads the pair of you only a short stepfrom there to the case of stella outside the bivvy :rolleyes: ,you having a go this weekend Steve?

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

It's hard to say what effect the rain will have - the river near me is looking perfect right now but is still on the high side, so if a lot falls quickly it could rise sharply again. It depends what happens upstream. It'll be 'warm' water though, so not the worst thing. If it rises and colours up I'd fish for roach (or barbel, down your way?), if not I'd fish for chub. If I had to guess, I think it'll rise slightly, not colour too much, and start dropping again quickly. This arctic spell will have created a nice gap in the natural food, so they ought to be very catchable after an influx of warmer water :)

I was planning to visit the Thames this weekend, but the rain here is really heavy (Aldersmaston). I guess it depends on how much it colours up as it was really high already as you said. All a bit depressing.

Anyway here are some summer pics to keep us sane.

Kennet Barbel on the float

My youngest Jake discovering the joys of trotting with a pin on the Kennet

Beautiful Lough Currane

Guess the location competition!

Sorry they are URLs the AN site kept bombing when I tried to load them here.

M

I was planning to visit the Thames this weekend, but the rain here is really heavy (Aldersmaston). I guess it depends on how much it colours up as it was really high already as you said. All a bit depressing.

Anyway here are some summer pics to keep us sane.

Kennet Barbel on the float

My youngest Jake discovering the joys of trotting with a pin on the Kennet

Beautiful Lough Currane

Guess the location competition!

Sorry they are URLs the AN site kept bombing when I tried to load them here.

M

I walked he dogs along a section above Goring yesterday and she looked spot on fo Chub ,Didnt fancy hanging on to umbrella today so going tomorrow and just hoping that she has not come up and coloured to muchin the meantime

Just spoke to my mate at Goring and he says as of now she hasnt come up at all,Could be a lot different tomorrow though face.

Edit Matthew looks like your youngest has been lured to the dark side ...he will be borrowing your centrepin all the time now.

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

P^%s heads the pair of you only a short stepfrom there to the case of stella outside the bivvy :rolleyes:

It's the novelty of not having to drive home! :D

you having a go this weekend Steve?

Yeah, hoping to get out and give it a go for chub, if the river looks OK.

I walked he dogs along a section above Goring yesterday and she looked spot on fo Chub ,Didnt fancy hanging on to umbrella today so going tomorrow and just hoping that she has not come up and coloured to muchin the meantime

Just spoke to my mate at Goring and he says as of now she hasnt come up at all,Could be a lot different tomorrow though face.

Edit Matthew looks like your youngest has been lured to the dark side ...he will be borrowing your centrepin all the time now.

Thanks for the feedback JV - I'll be fishing on Sunday and might just have a look at Goring as its closer than Wallingford where I was thinking initially. Not sure I have got a plan B if its too coloured.

Yes, my youngest finds fishing a bit slow - a bit of an adrenaline junkie - but was taken more by the idea of wading big time and he was totally absorbed catching 6-8oz dace all afternoon in that spot. I was willing a barbel to come along and give him a shock! But yes I will I have to invest in another pin for the summer '13. But it gives me an excuse to pass the Okuma on and get something else for me ;)