Sinking line

Sportsman

I intend to try carping with a slack line in 2013. I understand that for it to work well I need to use a mainline that sinks quickly and easily. Do I need to use fluorocarbon, do fluorocarbon coated lines work or is there a good sinking mono that you can recommend in 12-15lb b.s.?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I intend to try carping with a slack line in 2013. I understand that for it to work well I need to use a mainline that sinks quickly and easily. Do I need to use fluorocarbon, do fluorocarbon coated lines work or is there a good sinking mono that you can recommend in 12-15lb b.s.?

The only 2 fluorocarbon coated lines Ive use Dave are Krystonite and Xline and both sink, but nothing like as fast as pure fluorocarbon and only about as fast as Maxima mono. Sensor is very slow to sink and thats why some like it for trotting.

Ive never tried pure fluorocarbon as main line, but should think even that could float a bit if you don't help it on its way through the surface film.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Flouro mainline sinks. It has a specific gravity of 1.75 to 1.90 depending on what brand you buy.

Since specific gravity is the ratio of density of a substance compared to the density of fresh water at 4°C (it's most dense), fluoro is significantly heavier than water and will sink - faster in warm water than cold but always it will sink and usually at least 4 times faster than mono which has a specific gravity in the 1.05 - 1.20 range.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sinking mono . . . . . . . simple, dilute washing-up liquid solution.

All,

Dish soap (washing liquid) mostly breaks the surface tension on the water. The effect won't last to long. You can do the same thing with fabric softener and it will last longer. Having said that - just my experience - you can save about 5 seconds by doing "anything". If you need 5 seconds you're trying to hard. Just sink the tip of your rod so the line is sinking from both ends.

Phone

When fly fishing I am quite happy to encourage my leader to sink with the application of fairy liquid and fullers earth. Don't know that I would want to do that to potentially 100 yards of mainline.

I want the mainline to get down onto the lake bed reasonably quickly so I think that I might try one of the fluoro coated lines as a compromise between sinkability and cost.

Thanks for the suggestions

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

It may be different in the UK but good fluoro lines here aren't that expensive. I've used this brand for a few years now and performance is good. Runs about $90 (£56) per 1000 yard spool or $20 (£12.50) per 200 yard spool.

Bass Pro XPS Flourocarbon Fishing Line

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

When fly fishing I am quite happy to encourage my leader to sink with the application of fairy liquid and fullers earth. Don't know that I would want to do that to potentially 100 yards of mainline.

I want the mainline to get down onto the lake bed reasonably quickly so I think that I might try one of the fluoro coated lines as a compromise between sinkability and cost.

Thanks for the suggestions

I use the fairy liquid/fullers earth combo when fishing the method feeder at range or when there is alot of surface tow and I want the line to get beneath it quickly to prevent a bow.

I make up a solution in 35mm film cannisters then apply by casting then winding in the line through a small sponge soaked in the stuff - works a treat. Much cheaper than expensive fluro mainline.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!