cannabis

kendo

A lot has been said about the similarities between being drunk on alcohol and high on cannabis. Cannabis needs to be controlled or you will have the same situation that you have with alcohol, namely, alcohol can no longer be kerbed because "public opinion would not accept it" as it has been legal too long. Have you ever been in a bar when the bartender tells a client that he has had too much to drink? That is a recipe for disaster as the drunk usually turns quite nasty. Why?

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

Jeepster: "cannabis is NOT addictive, habit forming yes, addictive no, take away your sons weed and he wont suffer any ill effects. no 'cold turkey' or any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever."

Have to disagree with you there, jeepster. There may be no physiological addiction, but there most definitely can be psychological addiction, with 'cold turkey', violence, catatonia, and Chronic Treatment-Resistant Depression as some of the side-effects.

That being said, I don't believe in the "gateway" theory: certain types of people would find something to become addicted to, even if cannabis didn't exist. Think of alcohol: some become alcoholics, some don't. It's the same with any "illegal" drug, IMO. Some will love it, some won't. I don't think keeping cannabis illegal will stop certain types trying heroin, freebase etc.

There is a reason to legalise it, IMO, that has to my knowledge never been put forward: the fact that (home growers excepted) the cannabis trade is now mostly controlled by criminal gangs. Back in the 70s, any Tom, Dick, or Harry, could buy/smuggle a few ounces, and make a few bob. Try doing that now. The locals will soon get a sniff, and you'll get a "visit". It used to be a "nice" thing, now it's guns and violence. Why? Because of the money involved. To explain:

There are approximately 55 million people in the UK. If just 1% smoke a gram a day, that's 550 kilos EVERY DAY. These figures might be conservative. It's a HUGE business, gangsters getting richer every day. If it were legalised, and sold at a reasonable price, these criminal profits would disappear. If not, there will come a time when the gangs are as rich, if not richer, than the State itself..and then what happens? They become "untouchable". Just look at Columbia.

Hi all

little onions you say your son smokes skunk, well i saw someone say (in this thread)

that if you take it away they will have no side effects,well ive been smoking for years and apart from building a resistance (of a kind)if i stopped it takes 2 days max for the irritatedness to wear off and then im totally fine(not ruling out future probs flash backs etc)but unfortunatly even if you took it away he would just get more and may even sway to worse drugs

im not sure if the novelty of smoking gear wears off but ive never been tempted to go higher :rolleyes: i was offerd heroin once for nothing but said no!!.(corny(say no to drugs etc :D ).

I dont condone using it but in my own home i am hurting knowone but myself(well depending what the scientists say maybe its good for you)(maybe next weeks update :D

as for bad dreams i have the reverse i dont dream at all and if i stop i have very VERY odd dreams.

besides i get the same high from staying up all night but cannot do that all the time :D

and lazy i smoke it and im in turbo house work mode and i can concentrate better.

also done mushys and speed and Es(garden poisons i call it) and cocaine(no needles)many years ago)but i can say that with all the others take it if you wanna dies frothing from the mouth but not me so stuck with cannabis

billy

[ 01. February 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: billy5000 ]

"In my late teens and early twenties a lot of my friends smoked cannabis. Nearly all of them, moved on to 'hard' drugs."

There is always someone who has an anecdote which they will that attempt pass off as factual evidence. It can work both ways: how often have you heard something similar to "my gran smoked fifty fags a day throughout her whole life and lived to be 92" - that kind of thing?

My own anecdote is that I know great numbers of people who smoked cannabis when I was younger, and only one or two of them went on to have any kind of a problem. It is fair to say that the one or two who did, stood out as being decidedly odd before they ever started smoking and they would have found a way to self-destruct with or without cannabis. The proportion would be similar for any cross section of the population. Dope smoking was rife at my college - a teacher training college. Most of the participants are now heads of schools or have moved on to other careers. It is certainly not addictive, and most people eventually pack it in because they become sick of the tobacco it's associated with.

The sort of people who claim to have been addicted to it are the people who throw tantrums if they can't get their regular fixes of crisps, cakes and biscuits. Have you ever seen the state regular cigarette smokers get into if they are temporarily deprived of fags for some reason? Some people just have no willpower, and feel as if it has to be something else's fault.

Looking on the bright side, one of the previous posts suggests that rumours of dope causing sterility are obviously exaggerated.

[ 01. February 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

If you turn up for work under the influence of booze, you get sent home, or in some cases sacked.

There should be an easy test to find out if people under the influence of cannabis.

It's not nice being on a building site where the forklift driver is high as a kite!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net