How automated are your Service Stations

Newt

The ESSO thread got me wondering.

I can easily remember when service stations always had an attendant to pump gas and also check air pressure in tires along with oil and such.

They are somewhere between rare and non-existant over here now though. The first move was toward 'self service' pumps where you got your own gas and paid a little less than the 'full service' pumps where an attendant did the work.

Later the full service pumps pretty much went away and these days most have gas pumps that will take a credit card / atm card so you don't even have to go inside.

Air is usually available but the machines are coin operated and for $0.25 you get enough time with a compressor running to top off all 4 tires unless one or two are really low and in that case it may need another coin. Free air would be nice but somehow the coin machines seem to stay working more than the free air ever did.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I had my tyre business, we never let Joe Public anywhere near the airlines. I had air gauges that were 20 years old for that simple reason. Regularly serviced and also wrapped in rubber off cuts so they bounced if dropped saved me pounds.

Many people don't realise how dangerous compressed air can be, especially in the wrong hands.

It's obvious from the Esso thread that the garages are suffering from Joe Public trashing the equipment. So to a certain extent don't blame them for not replacing/repairing. As I said a half decent tyre shop will check your tyre/tire pressure probably for free especially if you become or are a regular customer.

We are just getting serve yourself pay desks at supermarkets now, pick, scan and pay for your purchases without a checkout person in sight. How long before we have to stack the goods on the shelves first?

Colin

Quote from Colin Brett:

We are just getting serve yourself pay desks at supermarkets now, pick, scan and pay for your purchases without a checkout person in sight. How long before we have to stack the goods on the shelves first?

You don't even have to visit the supermarket nowdays. 15 minutes on the Internet, and yer shopping arrives on your doorstep the next day...

T

Terry

We have plenty of service stations where you can pay at the pump by credit card Newt, but I never pay that way.

It may not be much of a job but I'd rather someone had a job than just put a card in a machine.

[ 05. February 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: ajp ]

Most of our gas pumps these days are in front of a convenience store (small place with a few very expensive groceries, snacks, coffee, and cold beer. The cashier will take your money, set a pump to dispense the amount you've paid for, and let you go pump it.

So no one suffers with pay-at-the-pump.

We do have the odd few stations with gas pumps and service bays where mechanics work on autos but fewer all the time. The newer garages don't sell gasoline and most are specialized to do tires or brakes or engines or oil/lube or whatever.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

In Oregon it is illegal to pump your own fuel. Growing up there I never actually knew how to do it. So you can imagine driving out of state by myself for the first time. Pulling into the service station and waiting for a really long time (wondering where the %*$#*ing service attendant was) before I realized everyone else was pumping their own. :o

You would be surprised how many people don't know how to check tires (tyres :D ) and oil. Seems like I do it all the time... No we don't make them pay. Half when asked don't even know what year their car is. Try asking what engine size.. Usually its a blank look and blink blink - uh it's the blue one over there.

[ 05. February 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Newt

Attended fuel service over here is about as rare as rocking horse droppings, although I do believe that some will do it for little old ladies and such. With regard to the card facility that is also about as rare, in this country, plenty over in France along with the attended service. The cost of fuel over here in rip-off Britain is enough without them having to pay someone to do it for you, the cost of which would be past on.

There is one thing over here that we have inherited from you guys over the pond, those annoying screen washers at traffic lights. :mad:

Nugg - the cure for the screen washer fellas will cost you a couple of bucks (pounds?) but is well worth it.

Get a mechanic to install a 2nd windscreen washer for you. Different hoses, same tank, different controls. Make sure you have the good washer fluid in it rather than plain water.

Aim the 2nd set to the sides rather than to the windscreen.

Regarding tyre air, for years now I've use my own 12v compressor so I don't have to rely on garage facilities which are often broken.

I don't trust the meter on the compressor though and always check the pressures with a proper pen style gauge.

Newt, unfortunately the tax man (greedy grabbing government) :mad: takes his huge cut from the cost of a litre of petrol (we don't have gallons anymore since Europe told us not to) :mad:

If we had attendant service as well, Jeez, I'd hate to consider the price of a litre

NB, we can no longer sell fresh produce (fruit & veg etc in lbs and ozs either because Europe told us not to as well. I'm surprised we've held onto sterling (£) for so long, most European currency is now the Mickey Mouse Euro