what does christmas really mean to you

nigelnibbles

ok, so the old christmas specials are on TV, your being bombarded with ads for expensive toys, the holiday ads will be on soon, but, what is christmas all about really, we all know that yuletide was an old pagan festival hijacked by the church because it was more popular than jesus's birthday(which according to theorists is around 29th september and not december), which is why we all eat drink and be merry, it was part of the pagan festival I believe. so what does christmas really mean to you all(apart from bloody expensive).... :D:D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nigelnibbles:

so what does christmas really mean to you all(apart from bloody expensive).... :D:D

Roast Turkey, and then feet up in front of the tele at the girlfriend's house, (to escape my parents and sister).

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

quote:

Roast Turkey, and then feet up in front of the tele at the girlfriend's house, (to escape my parents and sister).

Hope this one's got Sky TV mate :D:D:P

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

quote:

. so what does christmas really mean to you all(apart from bloody expensive)....

Grayling Fishing on the Exe :)

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

There doesn't seem to be any point to Christmas any more. Long ago it was a time when people could indulge themselves, but there is nothing now that you can possibly eat or drink that you couldn't have every day of the year if you so wished. There's crap on telly for days on end (well, even more crap than is normal) and those begging for charitable causes seem to think they have a right to block your entrance to shop doorways. And then there's the horrible festive music played in the supermarkets, and worst of all, the scouts standing next to the tills packing your stuff into carrier bags in exchange for money. If it was so essential the supermarkets would employ somebody to do it full time. And then there's the bloody carol singers, moan, moan....continued over the next 55 pages.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

"Christmas" is a good time to be anywhere in the world, as long as its south of the Tropic of Cancer

We have had a number of strange Christmas dinners.

A packet of crisps and a bottle of orange pop (shared between two) halfway up a small mountain in the New Territories. Had a slap-up Chinese meal when we got back though.

A pukka turkey dinner aboard ship moored off Antarctica

Sausage and chips in Israel, where they pointedly do not celebrate anything that day.

Roast turkey in a camp in the Amazonian jungle - and used the turkey-skin as bait to catch piranhas.

Best of all, a few Christmases in Oz - dinner outside beside the barbie.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

xmas is starting earlier and earlier and i think retailers are exploiting the situation to its maximum . i would hate to be a parent now as there is so much pressure to get the latest toy etc. i seriously think there should be legislation so that xmas starts first week of december ; no toy adverts during childrens t.v (allready being done in some parts of europe . new year sales to start in the new year . and for alot of people without family etc it can be an incredibly lonely time . i still feel however there is still a little magic around christmas; ; especially if the wife will let me fish christmas eve night cod for xmas dinner ???

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Saw a house today with life size reindeer and father xmas outside (blow up ones )the house was lit up like a xmas tree it looked awful.Far too early. :confused: :confused:

I worked last xmas day this year i'm off,so looking forward to the family comming round,going to church xmas morning,then into the pub next door,which is always crowded,you only get 1 drink as its so packed.the local male voice quoir are always there,everyone sings the local village xmas carols.All the local families turn up you see all the kids grown up.Just for an hour its great,no one goes really for the beer its a social gathering.then home and grandkids+family,tv is barred,its great.

Oh and carols on xmas eve.

Xmas is not quite the same when there are no children around.

My best xmas's were years ago when i was on nights at the children's hospital,we all wore our capes(today's nurses would not know what a cape was) :confused: inside out so the red was on the outside,with our caps and aprons(black stockings of course...carefull Chesters1) and went carol singing around all the wards. :D:D you got to put the kids to bed help them put the pillow case out,play santa and watch them open their presents next morning,majic.

judy.

ps.

then a walk if its not raining.

[ 09. November 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: nursejudy ]

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

my wife has agreed and im now designated driver on xmas day

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith