Light carp rods

Mat Hillman

Quantum Radical Old School Light

A brilliant rod - I keep meaning to get another - in 1.75lb test. Bends through to the butt and (cliched, I know) so forgiving it almost plays the fish for you.

EDIT - The handle looks very short in the pic shown in the link - I assure you, it's full length.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Where's the fun in using rods I already own though Phone?

And they dont even match, one is a Drennan and one is a Harrison, you might get away with that tench fishing, but not carping! ;)

LOL - spoken like a true angler

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

my suggestion..get the idea of "carping" out of your head!

what your going to do is "fish for carp" and with that in mind focus on a rod you think will give you some fun in doing it!

as others have said...ignore "carping" stuff....1.5lb test curve or maybe even lighter will give you far more pleasure than anything else!

yeesh I can haul out low doubles on my pen rods and I have no idea how small a test curve they have! maybe I need to test one and find out?? hmmmm

but regardless there is no fun like truly fighting a fish on light tackle....

so my recommendation is go for a lighter rod and also scale your end tackle back to be a simple as possible! the majority of my carp fishing is done with a basic waggler or just surface fishing......and it makes a great days sport!

to back up Newt I got sent a bass rod from the States last year! 6 foot; and made for a great days carp fishing on my local lake!! was great fun!

my buddy regularly uses a shakespeare telescopic for all his carp fishing (as does my father):

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/rods,778/travel-rods,1209/sigma-hybrid-telescopic,8199.html

something like these.

Edited by kirisute

As well as being more fun, playing carp on a decent barbel-type rod with a 'light' test curve is actually more efficient. Higher test curves doesn't mean they'll tire fish quicker - often the opposite is true.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

personally the further from "yank and crank" fishing I can get the happier I am!!

that's why I love my pen rods...there is nothing like landing a double figure fish on one of them!! its pure madness but its just so much fun its beyond measure!!

and as ive said before...anybody wants to come and have an afternoon with me messing about with them is more than welcome! ill be happy to shout you a day ticket!

I use Wychwood Barbel 1.75lb test curve rods for this type of fishing and have landed Carp up to 25lb from very weedy waters. I have also fished for much smaller carp up to mid doubles (similar to what you are likely to be using them for) and they were very good for this. If I need to I could cast a 2oz lead and PVA bag around 60-70m if I need to but they are also fine when with short range accurate casting (something my carp rods are great for).

They don't appear often on second hand EBay though but I think they are still being made and you can probably pick them up for £50 each. I've also used them for chub, barbel, tench, bream and they were great. I wouldn't want to cast a method feeder 70m with them but for everything else they match what I need.

I've got a pair of Daiwa 'Vulcan X' 2.25lb carp rods, which sounds a little heavy but they're actually pretty lightweight. Nice for messing about at close range with pike too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

to be fair my Shimano tribal stc's are 2.75 and they act like rods that are half their weight! really nice for stalking!

its a shame there isn't a chance to truly test rods before you buy to see how they act and feel..i think the action of the rod itself is probably a bit more important than the weight of it.

I agree, it's that nice through action that I'm looking for, I can be a bit heavy-handed playing fish at times, and like a nice shock absorber between me and the fish, rather than a broomstick!

A couple of people have mentioned the whychwood barbel rods to me, I think I'll have to see if I can find a tackleshop locally that stocks them so I can have a waggle!

Mat

Mat