Can we justify war on Iraq???

dave_h

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesters et al, all moslems and fundamentalists see America as an enemy, given the chance they would destroy it tomorrow.

The only thing that stops them is power, the power of American weapons, the only thing that keeps them off our backs is the power of our weapons (Falklands)

At some time , either now or in the future, the FREEDOM loving nations of this world will have to make a stand, doing away with the Iraq threat will maybe send a sufficiently strong message to our enemies for no further action to be needed, at least for a number of years.

You would have no problem with locking up a single terrorist, it is the scale of the possible conflict that is worrying is it not?

If it is that you really believe that these "religious" fanatics pose no problem, then so be it, I will not try to pursuade you otherwise, except to look at the evidence of their past atrocities.

I think Bush will call the bluff of the Arab nations, they are mostly becoming westernised and respect the same values as the west, even a large proportion of the Iraqi's want to be rid of many of the restrictive religious practises.

So I say, go for it Bush.

Let's see if any of you change your opinion after the rerun on Sept 11 of the AWFUL AWFUL events of that day.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

American's blindless Patriotism v

Arab's blindless faith.

That for me sums it up.

But why do we Brits have do all the clever war work SAS,RAF, Paras etc

I already have family fighting now if this kicks off my own son may have to go to War.

For what "OIL" is it worth it ???

Anglingforums Intersite Challenge Champions 2003 and 2004 http://www.anglingforums.co.uk

http://www.total-fishingclub.com

Could any of you JUSTIFY the death of your wife,daughter,son,father,mother, this is what Bush could ask from some of you.

When the nazi regime sweeped across europe we sent our loved ones to fight for our liberty we had no choice and the only descision was made, and rightly so.

Our loved ones suffered terrible deaths that in some cases only if you are there you can comprehend, and even then it is hard to make any sense out of it all. Some of you may be asked to endure the last dying cries of an 18yr old boy soldier as he cries "mother where are you help me mother" there are no dying cries of "God save America" believe me there AIN'T!!!

So Mr Bush and mr Blair its in your hands-THINK CAREFULLY- IS THIS FOR OUR LIBERTY? CAN YOU JUSTIFY THE DEATHS OF OUR LOVED ONES!!!!!!!!

dave_h:

Could any of you JUSTIFY the death of your wife,daughter,son,father,mother, this is what Bush could ask from some of you.

When the nazi regime sweeped across europe we sent our loved ones to fight for our liberty we had no choice and the only descision was made, and rightly so.

Hmmm. Lemme see now. Hasn't been that many years since a couple of countries on the North American continent (which was not threatened) helped out because it was a good idea and because we were allies.

This sorta reminds me of the lad saying, "Yes mother, I remember all of that. But what have you done for me LATELY?"

quote:
Some of you may be asked to endure the last dying cries of an 18yr old boy soldier as he cries "mother where are you help me mother" there are no dying cries of "God save America" believe me there AIN'T!!!
You been watching too many old movies.

You will hear nearly as many of the latter comment (or "God Save The King/Queen" as it were) as of the former. But the majority will be more of the "Oh s**t, that hurts" variety. (note: as a former combat medic with the US Marines in Viet Nam, I feel qualified to speak to this particular topic.)

I have trouble dealing with "international issues" but on a personal level, I see no reason for any terrorist (active or assisting) to live more than a couple seconds beyond the time he/she is positively identified. No matter their cause or the justification.

Also on a personal level, if I or my family is attacked by a group, I have no problems in asking a friend for help. If said friend declines, then I was mistaken about the relationship.

And the fact remains that with the UK political system, a leader who does things that grossly offend enough voters can be thrown out of office.

If you (plural - not just dave_H) feel that terrorism simply isn't worth fighting against, let the man (Blair) know. If you feel that he is taking the wrong approach, give a better one.

For me, taking action against a group of folks that already think me and mine are The Great Satin is an easy decision. They are more than welcome to their opinion but I see no reason whatever to tolerate their actions when they decide that killing a bunch of folks and causing a bunch of billions of dollars in damages is a good way to express those opinions.

[ 06. September 2002, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

poledark:

What we must not do, is to lose the initiative in the fight against terrorism or those who harbor and encourage them.

Unfortunately the signs of weakness are beginning to appear, but just be very certain that those who wish to undermine our freedoms will not weaken.

I think Bush should order an attack on Sept 11, just think what a message that would send to our enemies.

Den

Den, all,

I don't usually get involved in these topics BUT, I think it would be stupid to bomb these PEOPLE most of the citizens had no idea of what was going on until days after. If America wants to make a point 1 year on, they should fly every plane that is available over potential targets at 1100 on the 11th and make as much noise and smoke as possible. That should make them THINK. Now you think, won't they be expecting revenge on the 11th and be preparing for it?????

As for Sadam, with the spys and paid assins available, why has he not been taken out? Coould it be "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know"?

A last thought from me before I stagger of to bed,

I hope that ALL the countries that lost people on that terrible day pay there respects with respect and not with anger.

Tight lines and sleep well.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Newt- Oh dear! to many old movies eh! that really is an un-believable comment to make to somebody who you have never met and on such a subject as this.

There may be other people out there newt who have experienced war like yourself, please do not accuse them of "watching old movies" just because they saw it in a different perspective than yourself.

Take care my friend. :)

Originally posted by Newt:

(note: as a former combat medic with the US Marines in Viet Nam, I feel qualified to speak to this particular topic.)

Newt,

While I accept your first hand experiences of war,

I would also like to ask you a question.

When you went to that war,

did you have any idea/l(s) of

what the war was about,

how easy it was going to be,

how bad the enemy was,

& what threat it proposed?

Also, did you have any idea of how fickle the hatred of the public can be?

(ie it was quickly redirected to the returning viet vets).

I would guess,

like the majority of people involved,

Media propoganda and bulls**t being forced fed 24/7 created images that were in no way in touch with reality.

I have trouble dealing with "international issues" but on a personal level, I see no reason for any terrorist (active or assisting) to live more than a couple seconds beyond the time he/she is positively identified. No matter their cause or the justification.

While I think that terrorism has its place but should only be used as a last resort,

to me it is an indication that something is very, very wrong when people to have to go to such extremes to fight back.

Also I think that defining Terrorism is very subjective and personal .

(both to individuals and to whole countries).

I image most of the warring parties see each other as terroists....

eg some, see america as having terrorist activities (covert policies) & weapons (aka trade imbardoes) of mass destuction (aka starvation).

Liam

[ 07. September 2002, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: loonyl ]

An attack on September 11th would be just about the most brainless, stupid, ridiculous idea that anyone could ever come up with. It might please some of the lunatic hawks in the Pentagon, but it would be an insult to those families who will be grieving over their loved ones who died on that day. It is that kind of gung-ho reaction that will create a holy day for religious fanatics, (on both sides), and benefit nobody but the arms manufacturers, who already seem to have far to much influence in these matters.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.