should we eradicate non native species

nigelnibbles

i must admit to being somewhat biased but what we are forgetting with the likes of Zander is that it is nig on impossible to eradicate them anyway. how many times have you heard that a water has been netted and al the carp say removed, only for carp to appear again when the water refills.

they are here to stay and for my mind all the better for it

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read an article from Australia that gave reasons for the Carp ban in Oz. Apparently, the Carp and Murray Cod fight for exactly the same food. Both greedy sods apparently!! The Murray Cod stocks took a dive and the locally fisheries fond the Carp were eating the Cod out of house and home, putting the Cod on the endangered list. since this draconian measure, the Cod stocks appear to have recovered dramatically.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Basically I come from the 'thout shalt not suffer an introduced species to live' school of thought.

It does not matter if we are talking about plants, fish, insects or mammals, introductions should not be tolerated.

It seems to me that there are lot of anglers that could not give a toss what strange and wonderful non-native fish get introduced to our waters and will spout all sorts of cr@p about 'nature finding it's own balance', but they are not so keen when natures balance tilts in the favour of something that eats fish (like mink or even our indiginous otter).

[ 25. February 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Pangolin:

Completely against eradication of fish.

Yes it seems a logical assumption that the ecology could be damaged, but I'd like to hear about real examples of this having happened.

Fish good, anything else bad perchance?

The introduction of Ruffe to Loch Lomond is a good example IMHO

http://www.sepa.org.uk/consultation/closed/llcmp.pdf

http://www.cce.cornell.edu/programs/nansc/...ey=060400000000

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-bu...%20cernuus.html

A quick Google for ruffe loch lomond invasion will point you to loads more reading.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Dear All,

Should we eradicate none native species? Yea. Lets start with Bruno Broughton he belongs in Nottinghamshire not the place he lives in now. A perfect example of a none native in-ballance if ever there was one!!

Where's that Heylin bloke from as I've got my eye on him to?

KEEP BRITAIN NATIVE. Thats what I say.

Regards,

Lee.

quote:

signal crayfish = loss of indiginous crayfish

grey squirel = loss of red squirel

imported Carp (unregistered) = loss of indiginous carp

the first were in savage decline before signals arived in sufficiant numbers to infect them.

grey squirrels arn`t so selective about what they eat so thrive where reds cannot ,in red "hotspots" they are just as numerouse as they have always been.

imported carp ??? all carp are imported :confused:

it would be difficult to find a species of anything that still remains in aspic since the last ice age :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think PeterW and Jon Hedges have it about right,

species like barbel have no place in stillwaters but where they are thriving in rivers leave well enough alone, to alter the balance now could really upset things.

Ditto the zander, but I think the EA were correct to take action to protect the vendace in the Lake District (maybe there were other ways to do it.. I don't want to re-open that old thread)

As for carp, leave the overgrown bloated eurocarp over the channel.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I think the Ruffe question is an interesting one. Pike anglers are popularly blamed for introducing them to L. Lomond, but I have serious doubts.

Carp, dace, chub, and gudgeon - I could see those being introduced in this way, because the are all specioes commonly used as bait, but Ruffe???

For a start they're not very common fish (apart from Loch Lomond it seems) in the UK. Matt Hayes was concerned about even being able to catch one at all in the Great Rod race! Has anyone *ever* used ruffe as a pike bait let alone lugged a bucket full of them to Lomond??

They've obviously made it accross the atlantic as well!

I don't know if they were introduced to the Loch by Sassenach pike fishermen or not, but I do know that they (the ruffe, that is) were not in the Loch when I was a nipper.

[ 26. February 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]