Do keepnets do any damage to fish?

davedave

All,

I have a question. How many fish parish from stress after a large match? Seems to me fewer fish would be deep hooked where speed is of significant value. No question a certain percent of fish die with any sort of angling. But I'm wondering if the fish dies what percent can be attributed to keepnets as the "cause". I'd bet it is - - like - - 1:100 regardless of conditions.

Stressed carp recover quite quickly. If a new stress is introduced (photo session) or the catching multiplies an existing stress (low DO) death is more likely to occur anyway - even when the fish swims off.

Don't roach, like most fish in this family, generate new scales? With carp there is a remote possibility of invasive worms etc. where scales are missing. But that risk is pretty small.

Phone

When I lived in the fens, I would wait until there was a match before going zander fishing. The matches used to end mid afternoon, and I'd then fish in those swims into dark. All the dead/dying/distressed roach, perch, skimmers, etc. released from keepnets after the weigh-in did a great job of groundbaiting for the predators.

Chris and I talked about using a keepnet to maximise our chances of big Thames roach, but in the end decided against it. They are mint fish and neither of us wanted to be responsible for knocking their scales off, even if it means we catch less.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've also seen dead or dying fish in the margins after matches - though I have always wondered how many of those fish would have died anyway, just conveniently out of sight.

Anderoo's point about predators mopping these fish up is also interesting, because it raises the question - if a pike or zander was going to feed today anyway, does it matter if it eats a casualty or a fish it ambushed elsewhere?

Gozzer - It was not meant to be contentious, it was a genuine 'curiosity' question, although I realised it might rile a few up.

Too many replies to reply to individually, but thanks guys, very interesting.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I realise you weren't meaning to be contentious Dave, it was just an attempt at a humourous comment, following on from your catch and release thread, where you seemed a little surprised at some reactions. :)

The subject usually invokes strong feeling from some quarters. I'm a little surprised that it seems to have passed so peacefully. If it hadn't I was preparing another one, calling for a critique of some other common angling methods. I think it only fair that I should question actions by others if they question mine.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes keepnets can damage fish as do landing nets and hooks.

I use keepnets in some situations where I dont want caught fish to spook others in the shoul or in matches.

Dont see how some can argue against keepnets when they are attempting to hook a fish in the mouth with a piece of metal themselves.

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!