Supermarket baits!

itsmrb

Dales,

Generally speaking, carp don't like bitter. Of course coffee is in the class of bitter. I guess carp can't read. Banana is one of my favorites but peel is very bitter.

As for soap. We used to catch catfish on Ivory soap. I doubt it is the same formula any more (?). Home made soap was pretty good for catfish and it consisted of lye and lard.

Kenj,

Are sturgeon pellets made of sturgeon or are they feed for sturgeon?

Phone

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for a high protein additive and having used ground trout pellets in the 70's went to the local aquarium shop at the garden centre for a looksee and they suggested these baby sturgeon feed pellets.

Agree with most of the stuff already mentioned from supermarket shelves (not sure about WD40 though) and would add that a visit to the deli counter for a lump of French Garlic Sausage has always proved worthwhile in my experience.

I've not seen anyone mention crusty bread as yet - one of THE killer baits.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Agree with most of the stuff already mentioned from supermarket shelves (not sure about WD40 though) and would add that a visit to the deli counter for a lump of French Garlic Sausage has always proved worthwhile in my experience.

I've not seen anyone mention crusty bread as yet - one of THE killer baits.

Some belive WD40 contains fish oils and have used sprayed onto dead baits as an attractant.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Mattesons Smoked Pork Sausage (the U-shaped variety) - very firm and so stay on the hook and hair well - I particularly rate the garlic variety. Punched saveloy and polony. Meat balls in gravy. Pre-cooked cocktail sausages - whole and portioned. Frankfurters (brilliant for tench).

Rubbery smoked cheeses. Canned Baby Clams (Tescos finest!). Nesquik in Strawberry flavour (or store equivalent) and custard powder for groundbait additives. Anchovy paste as an additive for pastes or smeared on bread baits. Pieces of concentrated jellies make great hookbaits at times.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Frankfurters (brilliant for tench).

I've had some good days in the past using tinned frankfurters for barbel and chub too! Accounted for my PB of both species! Freelined frankfurter sections was particularly good for the chub - it sinks very slowly so can be "trotted" through the swim in mid water

Mat

Mat

I went through a stage when I would tidy the kitchen cupboards every few months and add to my dried bread crumb groundbait anything dried that was passed its sell by date - so lentils, curry powder, chilli - even some currents once. - all sorts went in.

I didn't have much sucess with it and I stopped using it when one day I was fishing and patch of oil appeared to be floating on the water - it turned out my Mrs had thrown some old cod liver oil capsules in there - cheers hunny ! That was it threw the lot in the bin.

RUDD,

Not true - if you search MSDS for WD-40 you will see the contents.

Phone

I already had a look and it is not good to be put into water courses.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!