They're back

chesters1

no its not a kid in front of a telly its our old spring dooda much talked about last time it was about ,strictly illegal kiddies so keep away. :angry:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATFISHING-HOOK-SETT...p3286.m14.l1309

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a "fixed engine" i think

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

In the mid 70s the bailif at one of our fisheries (FrogMore) nearly got smacked in the face by a very small pike when some geek was using a self strike rodrest mechanism that he was developing.

These gadgets are absolutely daft and dangerous. Who (other than a stupid p**t) would leave their rods un-attended anyway?.

We used to play around with developing self hooking rigs for Carp using elastic and stiff tubing etc. that you could use with smaller leads in the late 70s but nothing came of it. but even that was more efficient than a bit of sprung wire on your rod tip.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

It must be a pretty fine line between that and a bolt rig though!

Don't go there Peter, I got told I was talking rubbish when I last mentioned it. :rolleyes:

How many times has this been 'invented'? I can think of at least 4! The first was (I think) the "self striking rod rest", then various ways of bending the rod to strike at a bite.

Someone must buy them! Like the 'Mabby', and the free standing groundbait 'launcher' (accurate every time :) ), someone, some where buys them.

But then again I didn't think the swimfeeder would catch on, so what do I know? :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

We've got the bolt rig down to a fine art, we don't need self-striking rods. What we should be working on is a self-reeling reel and self-opening Stella :)

PS I used to be very anti-bolt rigs too but once I started fishing lakes where you may have to wait several days for a bite I soon changed my mind!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

We've got the bolt rig down to a fine art, we don't need self-striking rods. What we should be working on is a self-reeling reel and self-opening Stella :)

PS I used to be very anti-bolt rigs too but once I started fishing lakes where you may have to wait several days for a bite I soon changed my mind!

I've seen a self reeeling reel! When the fish pulls it dislodges something and the reel brings in the fish!

Rich

We have the clockwork reel already Andrew, can't help with the Stella though, sorry. :(

In those conditions I can just about see the point of the bolt rig, but it seems that now it's the only method for many anglers.

It shows in many of the posts on here where anglers that have been around a few years and never tried a float, or straight leger. They have very little idea of loose feeding, groundbait, shotting a float etc, all the basics that help to bring the rest of it together.

Just cast a heavy method or swimfeeder to the horizon and wait for the fish to hook themselves.

Maybe the self striking rod is just a progression of this, and the time is now right for it to take off. :unsure:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest tigger

Me too. Another good thing about the bolt rig is you never hear of anyone using it getting any deep hooked fish. Also it enables you to fish more than one rod safely.