Digital Scales

wotnobivvy

I read the article in last weeks Anglers Mail about the Wychwood digital scales. I know the author has a tie in with the company, but wondered if any members have any experience of them. For under £30 they seemed to be a good buy. Are there any other digitals around the same price band that can be recommended

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

NO NO NO NO NO!

It's been done to death on here and you'll get answers from both sides of the fence, but I would seriously urge you not to go digital - especially if they're being promoted by a sponsored angler.

Avons all the way :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

My Avons finally gave up their ghost after 36 years of good service earlier this season but I've heard that Avon have ceased production of their dial scales. So unless I can buy a pair on ebay I might have to use a pair of digitals; god forbid..

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Luddites :-)

What's the problem with digital scales? Granted, they're a bit more expensive than the OP quoted, but I've had the Fox digitals for maybe 5 years now - spot-on accurate (I've got access to pro-calibration equipment at the local Trading & Strandards office - they're checked maybe twice a year and have never needed any sort of resetting) - and still running on the original battery!

That said, I've another much smaller (and cheaper - think they were about a tenner?) set by Fladen, and for all practical purposes, they're just as accurate!

Luddites :-)

What's the problem with digital scales? Granted, they're a bit more expensive than the OP quoted, but I've had the Fox digitals for maybe 5 years now - spot-on accurate (I've got access to pro-calibration equipment at the local Trading & Strandards office - they're checked maybe twice a year and have never needed any sort of resetting) - and still running on the original battery!

That said, I've another much smaller (and cheaper - think they were about a tenner?) set by Fladen, and for all practical purposes, they're just as accurate!

Great when they work, but some (fox) are not cheap.

So when you have folked out for a good pair of digitals that will stand up to living and bumping around in a damp fishing bag, what do they offer you over a pair of Avons?

I have a pair of Reuben Heaton flyweights that have lived in my tackle bag for around the last 20 years. I give them a clean and a squirt of DW40 maybe once a year and check them against other scales. Their small, light, reliable and the battery will never be flat.....

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

All,

I'm with philo. Your "battery" excuse is lame. The same is true of your car battery. It won't be long before you can't find spring scales anywhere but in a pinhead's bag.

lutra,

I too was convinced to buy a Ruben Heaton (calibrated by Official "weight and measures" office for carp tournaments). It is impossible, until the fish dies, to honestly arrive at 2 - 3 oz one way or the other. They are "spot on" in static circumstances, otherwise subject to modest interpertation.

Phone

I did some tests on various scales a few years ago following a topic here on the Forum. It highlighted certain problems and how to solve them. Go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/220013-scales.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I did some tests on various scales a few years ago following a topic here on the Forum. It highlighted certain problems and how to solve them. Go to http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/220013-scales.

But have things moved on since then, with the incessant march of technology

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

But have things moved on since then, with the incessant march of technology

If you've read it you'll see it's not just about technology, but how to hold scales and the difference it makes to the readings - both on conventional scales and digital ones.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net