Bird ID

Dave H

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And facial moustache and barred tail are distinctly lacking!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

OK guys the simple answer is i and many other falconers and those in the know have no idea. It's baffled all of the community because it's wild and therefor should be pure.

It is highly un likely to be a lanner as they are very hot climate birds and tend to live in and around South Africa in the main. Gyr's tend to be hot climate and sakers can be. If it's a peregrine it's quite a big one and the colours are just not quite right.

It is highly un likely to be a hybrid or tribrid if it is then it's a wild one and so very rare indeed . It's to big for a merlin and a hobby for sure.

My bet is it has part saker in it and if i had to throw another in it would have to be a female Peregrine. Perhaps others have a view. The comment about the tail was well observed as that is no Lanners tail. I have flown, Lanners, sakers,Gyrs,sakers,Peregrines, barbary,merlin just about everything. Hybrids and tribreds and that is the closest i can come too.But then it could be a Pere/lanner or as i flew once a Pere/gyr/saker!

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hmm I'm no raptor expert so I'll take your word for it but i don't know how you can judge its size when there is nothing else in the photo to give it any scale. It does look like one of these though http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=1062&Bird_Image_ID=34501&p=23

Same photo is used here as an image of a merlin http://worldbirds.eu/abcm/merlin.htm

Edited by snakey1

I can judge it's size and i am a qualified to do so with it's sex to knowing i am fairly confident of what it is...But you can take it or leave it..

That is no Male Merlin i can assure you.And i even have doubts that is a pure one too.

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I'm getting a trifle confused now Dave, Initially it was a Lanner, then it definitely wasn't a Lanner. It was pure-bred now it's possibly a hybrid/tribrid. Now apparently nobody knows what it is but it's large. To me the general proportions of the bird suggest it is smaller rather than larger, e.g. the broad head with large eyes, the 'short' wings and small feet. The white eyebrow, head and relatively pale facial markings and broad dark terminal/sub-terminal tail band suggest merlin more than anything else. What are your reasons for your choices?

How about a Merlin/Lanner? :)

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

As I said I'm no raptor expert and i'm not arguing over a photo of one, all I did was find the original photographers site and one other where the image appeared and noted on both the images were identified as a merlin in particular the subspecies Falco columbarius pallidus . I am honestly interested on how you can judge size without having anything else in the image to give reference to, I assume its to do with the size and relative proportion of various anatomical parts.