Hook link lengths ?

Dave H

It has always perplexed me the variety of hook link lengths people use even in a mixed fishery with being just happy to catch anything I see a 2 inch to a 30 inch length used.

What are people’s views on this? I tend to use about a 6 inch hook link for all my fishing

I have just edited this to include that the question is based on stillwaters in general :)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Dave H,

I'll reply although in two dimensions it is hard to know what you are talking about. I've learned about 10 or more definitions through the years for hook link; hooklength; hook length; leader; etc. (i.e. the hook length is the shank length of the hook) [hook link is the style and size of a lure swivel]

Are you talking about another term for what we call a leader? A leader is simply a length of line that connects a hook to the main fishing line. Leaders, or hook length length, can be larger or smaller in pound test strength depending on the situation and fish species. I bet you don't use an 8" leader for pike. Leaders for larger game fish will often go up in test strength from the main line. Leaders used with wary carp, for example, may go down in size to help reduce the risk of scaring the fish away.

I don't use any leader. I usually freeline - hook to mainline. If is did I believe I would be in the "school" of very short leaders.

Phone

Dave

My standard feeder setup is 14 to 18inches.

My method feeder is 3 to 4 inches ( I wont tell you what I use to measure them). :D

My pva stocking /bag setup is about 10 to 12inches.

All running setups.

I have been known to use up to 4ft sometimes when trying to acheive presentation in certain conditions.

John

Edited by John Weddup

The only standard length of hook length I have is for Pike around 20" for all other hook lengths it depends on what I am targeting, where I am fishing and what I want or need the hook length to do. I also often start with one size and then shorten or lengthen it to over come problems. I don't think I could make one size fit all situations, in fact I am 100% sure I could not.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

As above depends how I'm fishing method feeder I would use a 4" hook length fishing with a bomb I would be closer to 9" a waggler for chub could be anything from 12" up to 35" my pole rigs are all the same at 12cm just different size lines.

Ill explain the reasons behind my thinking a method feeder is easy you need a short length due to the fish hook themselves against the weight of the method I use 4" because a lot of fisheries you have to adhere to no smaller then that so I just use that standard I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've told people to stop striking when using a method that's what destroys the fish ripping there lips off.

When using my bomb its usually cause fish are shying away from the method feeder so hence a longer link is common sense

When on my waggler for chub this is just my preference the fish will watch the bait flow through the water so ill attach my float just below a swivel which I then put my hook length right to the deck depending if up in the water or not

And my pole rigs is simple I use a small preston box to tye all my hook links so there the same length so a bent hook or snapped link just quick hook link change I don't have to re plummet ideal for matches.

tight lines

I do in general adjust the rigs to suit the bottom as in helicopter for more weedy conditions and clip or inline for more of a harder floor. for bream i may use up to about 12 inches but excluding Pike and Zander i do tend to stick with the 6 inches in most cases. I tend to adjust the weights more than the hook lengths

I should have said Stillwater and not flowing on my thoughts :)

Edited by Dave H

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

All depends on method being fished and conditions.

All pretied in prestons boxes:

The shortest would be 3 or 4 inch on a method or pellet feeder, 6 inches pole, 12 inch waggler and 24 inch feeder/bomb.

The feeder lenghts can shortened if needs be and I will tie a lenght on the bank if I need something else.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

My hooklengths vary in length depending on the method I am using, where I am fishing, and the line strengths being used.

Two examples are:

If I am fishing for largish silvers using fine hooklengths I will tend to use longer hooklengths which will tend to stretch more and cushion an over enthusiastic strike or the occasional unexpected larger fish.

However If I am fishing for Tench using the lift method my hooklength could be only a couple of inches long.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)