Army surplus - fishing clothes

Paulg

I'm on the lookout for some new trousers and waterproofs for fishing as my current lot have finally bitten the dust.

What is the army surplus gear like? First off i need some trousers, suitably warm enough to cope with overnight summer sessions. I also need some waterproofs, both trousers and a jacket. Looking at army surplus stuff on eBay, is there any kinds that I should avoid or does anyone recommend any in particular. I've already got a few links to shops etc, but I'm not sure if ex-army clothes are really suitable?

I've seen some really nice russian army fur hats, look very warm for winter fishing?

Paul

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up some brand new army Gor-Tex dungaries last year, just the job for keeping the mud blood and slime off in the winter and I don't get a cold back whenever I bend over.

I also picked up a camo gor-tex jacket cheeply but whilst that one's great for knocking about in, it turned out to be pretty impractical as a fishing jacket.

This stuff is very variable in quality ranging from poor seconds/rejects and the junk that some countries wrap their conscripts in to first rate high-tec gear that hits the shops for silly moey.

In sumary, it's a case of each item on its merits.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I got some Dutch army goretex trousers and jacket from a local army surplus place and it's been fine,came with a guarantee as well, any problems bring it back he said.

One thing to watch if buying unseen is that quite a bit of military gear has very few pockets.

So if you are used to stuffing your pockets full of bits and pieces find out first.

I know you said you had some links but Transworld Surplus have a pretty good reputation

Ken, why was the jacket impractical for fishing? Some of the ones I've looked at especially the lined parkas for winter fishing certainly appear pretty good? I guess I need to get down to my local army surplus store and try one on rather than just looking at pics on t'net.

John, thanks for the link, that was one I hadn't got!

Anyone else use army surplus clothing?

Paul

The British army gortex jackets are great! Only two big pockets but I wear a waistcoat underneath mine and find it excellent. Can not see the sense in buying that dear old stuff when there is some excellent unused quality surplus out there at far more reasonable prices.

Paulg, I recently bought a pair of Ex army Gore-tex waterproof, bib and brace type, over trousers,Brand new as well,£25, I've worn them twice in pretty bad weather conditions, and they are excellent,Fully guaranteed too. I'm going back in the next week or so to get the jacket to match. :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Paul.

AJP hit the nail on the head - no pockets at all.

It also has a roll up hood and as I use an over the shoulder bag when I'm out lureing (I've yet to find anything better than an old NATO gas mask bag with the internal compartments ripped out and the internal seems gaffer taped up to prevent hooks catching) the strap pushes the rolled up hood against my one good ear and all I can hear is rustleing as it rubs against my head.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I got an awesome Helly Hanson for my not-very-frequent sea fishing, but has proved great on freshwater's too. Especiallys pegs that are wide open to the elements and you get blasted with wind all day as good sailing coats are wind and waterproof with very high collar and low hood cover most of your face in really bad conditions. and it has buttons and clips and elastic everywhere, get really snug!

My problem is footwear, after 2 hours even with 2 pairs of socks on my feet are freezing, even with paraboots on. Any suggestions? Wrap my feet in foil?

Get a decent pair of boots. With the mild UK climate there is no way you should ever have to deal with cold feet.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President