Army surplus - fishing clothes

Paulg

I definitely agree with Peter about the Sundridge Neoprene Boots. See my field test at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/sundridge.htm

By the way, mine are green in colour, not blue as in the photo.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God for that Steve,no matter how acomplished an angler you are we could have never taken you seriously again if we thought you wore blue wellies!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i was given a pair of Argie combat trousers after that little bit of bother we had theres was no need for the landings as after 2 weeks (if that) ALL the stitching fell apart ,all we had to do was wait till they froze to death :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

BUDGIE:

Thank God for that Steve,no matter how acomplished an angler you are we could have never taken you seriously again if we thought you wore blue wellies!

:D:D

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just going off on a tangent here...

Since it is well documented that British troops are kitted out appallingly (ie have to buy their own flak jackets, etc) how come there is any surplus? And why is it surplus? Why don't they let the soldiers keep it to wear?

I'm not trying to be funny. I really don't understand.

Fenboy

Fenboy, if you saw the bloody WASTE that goes on with all services then you would have a bloody heart attack!!

I was on patrol down south and there was a truck pulled up. Out jump half a dozen squaddies and they then proceeded to slash and burn several lorry loads of gear!! Allsorts, NBC suits, Goretex, combats you name it it all went and they actually had an armed guard in case someone tried to nick anything!! I have seen vehicles "float tested" and all sorts of waste. It's absolutely ridiculous what gets thrown away!! And Yes, Your average squaddie DOES buy a lot of his own gear because the stuff that is supplied is inferior!!

We I think were VERY lucky in the RN I can't honestly think of anything that I had to buy because we were not issued with it! But the army? Different matter.

Just in ending though, most of the surplus you see is actually stuff that HAS been worn and the guys have now left the army or some of it is too scruffy to be allowed to be worn on parade etc. And more stuff now comes from abroad too as they have a higher turnover of recruits.

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

A great deal of surplus was destroyed so as to prevent it being bought by the IRA and the like. Things have been eased now.

I guess it is surplus as much of it is specific to one use, or one particular theater of operation. Rather than return it to stores it is possibly more cost effective to dispose of it.

All UK services kit has a 'sell by' date, If its not issued within that period its sold at auction or tender - ie surplus!

In the 60's and 70's there was not much call for clothing and it was sold for the scrap value of the buttons & cloth!

PS shop arround for the stuff as I've seen some dealers charging 2x prices of others & always haggle!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I have one of them Russian hats and they are great.

My one is waterproof, quilt lined and the fur bits come down over your ears and can be strapped togheter under your chin.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!