Lots of lost fish

Anderoo

I don't know why you're surprised Dave, my views on overstocked fisheries are well known on here. I have argued against them for many years. My present situation of only having a few trips a year, although I am surrounded by them, is testament to my claim that if that is all there was, I would hang up my rods forever.

I do find it hypocritical that all this talk of fish welfare after they are hooked, far outweighs any concerns about them while still in the water.

I've been called 'old fashioned', 'living in the past' etc, for my views, but I'll keep repeating them as long as I am able.

My match fishing covered not only small stuff. On the Yorks rivers you had to be prepared for large bream, chub, and barbel, so I always had to tackle up enough gear to cover the situation.

Any 'anti' worth his salt already knows all about these fisheries, and nothing I've put on here will add to their knowledge.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest twofoottwitch

Crazy to even consider snag fishing for carp or barbel next to such a snag, unless there is a good chance of landing the fish it has to be considered irresponsible. The only way I would even attempt such a thing would be that I had the right angle to stop the fish bolting to the snag. It would then be a rod that had enough action in it to stop the run but 'soft' enough to prevent a break. Of course a pole is not the kit to use in such situations, you just cannot stop that first run.

The welfare of the fish was not as far as I have read a factor, and that is where I feel the match and non match angler differ, as a non match angler I and I feel most on here would not continue smashing up our kit and leaving hooks and line in the Carp, very poor reflection on MD and Angling in general.

Guest bluedun

To be fair to webbo, he does make a case for using a pole - if I understand right, to pull out a fish in the only clear exit in what sounds like a tangle of branches. (With a rod it would not have been possible to cast there.) Of course, no one should be fishing a peg like that in a match, both in the interests of fish and tackle, and dare I say fairness of pegging - a match benefit of commercials?. Outside of match fishing I imagine few would attempt to fish in such a snaggy spot.

I agree with vagabond: I can think of nothing worse than a pond stuffed with carp, "a bite every chuck" as the cliche goes. I've never fished one - well, perhaps once long ago, before there was such a thing as a commercial fishery, but nonetheless full of little tench and carp - and I never will. It is a kind of commodification of angling, which suits some people, but rather breaks fishing's traditional link with the environment.

No, give me a river too with all its variety of swims and ways of fishing, where roach and dace are called that and not "silvers" (Aaghhh!)

• Like 1

Why, I thank you kind Sir :)

@Steve Walker, the top kits didn't break as a result of trying to keep the fish out of the tree, as written one broke as a Carp ran towards the bank I was siting on faster than I could ship back the pole and with an 18 rated elastic (not quite bungee cord) the top kit doubled over and reached the limit of it's flex and broke in two places as a result.

The second kit broke in similar circumstances as I was parting it from the rest of the pole and the fish that was on tore off at right angles to the top kit. This kit looked as if the bung had pulled up the taper and damaged/stretched the carbon resulting in the section exploding into splinters.

The pole was rated for a higher elastic than beng used, which was well balanced with the line in use :)

@vagabond, where did I say that 50% of the tackle being used was left in the fish? I wrote that I lost as many fish as I landed. Any tackle lost was minimal and lost to the sunken branches and roots. At no time did I break off with a fish attached.

'sycophantic' - now there's a word for the word bank lol

Ah, well in that case maybe I am wrong in thinking that the pole was not the problem, and you should have been using a rod and reel after all!

I have fished with a pole next to reed beds for carp up to 10lbs and you can actually control them quicker than with a rod and line.With rod and line tactics by the time you know you have a fish on its going flat out towards reed bed or snag. With pole you see and react quicker and turn the fish before it hardly knows its hooked. It can also be an advantage pulling from above in controlling the fish albeit with a suitable pole setup.

I have also used a pole in heavy lilly pads in very shallow water for tench. Fishing into a hole in the pads and immediately getting tench on top and fighting on surface.Again the right pole setup is required.

Obviously my comment about not owning a rod was silly on this occasion but there are many out there that either only have a pole or once using a pole never use a rod again. My apologies for that.

Oh and Webbo well done for replying in a sensible and refrained way after being criticised. Your replies have made a few see things in a slightly different way.

John

Edited by John Weddup

lol..i've loved reading this thread i really have

First i'd like to point out that my reply was neither sycophantic or any other form of arsecreeping...it was a **** take because of the saddo's who use a pole!

I don't fish mud puddles or any kind of commercial anymore i prefer nice big open waters like lakes, reservoirs and those big ponds where the water goes from one side to another...i think they're called rivers.

As for carp....nothing more than a nice live bait for a decent Esox or Moggie

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

First i'd like to point out that my reply was neither sycophantic or any other form of arsecreeping...it was a **** take because of the saddo's who use a pole!

I don't fish mud puddles or any kind of commercial anymore i prefer nice big open waters like lakes, reservoirs and those big ponds where the water goes from one side to another...i think they're called rivers.

As for carp....nothing more than a nice live bait for a decent Esox or Moggie

What reply was that then

A decent bait for esox maybe but all moggies as you call them or big pussys as some refer to them by should be removed from uk waters and sent back to spain or made into fishmeal.Why catfish have a big macho following I do not know why not just go and shark fish.

John

Why catfish have a big macho following I do not know why not just go and shark fish.

Maybe because they tend to be big, macho fish and some people prefer to fish in fresh water?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

can i just point out John...........the wels isn't a spanish fish, it's other common name should give the game away....the Danubian catfish

I keep forgetting only those who have been here over a decade will know my other name, i'm Trogg the moderator off MD's.....and as i said there's nothing quite as good as a waterpig... carp for a live bait.....3lber and above make good catfish baits though!

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them