Dealing with cows!

Andy_1984

The problem raises its head yet again, unfortunately :-(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-23848404

In the litigious age in which we now live, I seriously wonder how long it will be before someone points the finger of blame at a farmer, and when that happens, I also wonder what the knock-on effects might be?

Have observed a number of notices going up by stiles, warning people not to take dogs into a field with cattle in.

Common sense really. Cows have an instinct to protect their calves from wolves.

Someone walking a dog will be seen as part of the wolf pack.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

I'll take cows anyday over highly domesticated goats. I pretty much had to stop fishing a small river in Missouri. The guys "pet" goats were persistent, annoying, and LESS than harmless. They have really hard heads and a strong aversion to people relaxing in a fishing chair. While they love cereal based carp baits and chum for a snack, they are not opposed to eating a packet of fish hooks or splitshot.

Remember I said they were "pet" goats. I wouldn't have been able to face this landowner's children if something happened to those damn goats.

Phone

Always enjoy these threads! You have to treat each situation differently and sensibly.

One club only has a single stretch of river fishing. 3 fields but they're open so it's one big field. No public footpath. I gave up fishing there because they were so unsettled when they saw you. It was uncomforably obvious that they did not want you in their field. They would get very agitated and never calmed down or lose interest. Actually the opposite always happened.

A different stretch and a field of heiffers and bullocks. No problem at all. A bit suspicious but actually quite friendly. they always come and "have a look and sniff" a few times throughout a day. No problem.

Another stretch. Young bullocks and heiffers. Absolute hooligans. As soon as they see you they start walking towards you, then jogging, then running. They surround you. They're a bit nervous so you can carry on walking but then... they start getting jumpy... the ones at the back start pushing forward and they start jogging again. But this time you're in the middle of the field (or on the edge). You stop. They stop. But as soon as you move they start running/jogging around you. It's unsettling. You get over the fence and can stroke them for ages. But as soon as you want to go back the whole thing starts again. I don't think they're 'violent'. Just curious/playful/hungry but when there's 30 of them you could easily get knocked over. They're just about ok.

Another stretch. Prime Limousin herd. Always an enourmous bull. Always cows with calves. Always choose somewhere else to go... There is a footpath on part of the field so in theory they 'should' be used to people but.......... once they spot you it's the old "what the hell is that bloke doing there?" Calves curious, cows anxious.............. Not a good mix.

I've never waited to see how the bull would react. I know they don't go around charging everything that moves. I've seen a bull from a completey different stretch once slowly make his way towards an angler. Luckily for me it was on the other side of the river! It walked right up to him within a few feet and never even flinched. It never paused for a moment and just carried on following his herd. I reckon I could hear the guy's heartbeat from 50 yards away!