Dealing with cows!

Andy_1984

It's interesting. Given you can sue anyone for just about anything these days, I expect you could easily sue for any cattle problems unless the field was clearly signed.

Rich

Blimey, anglers will be trying to ban cows next ! No wonder farmers don't like townies. People shouting about sueing farmers is gonna make some farmers think twice about allowing access to prime fishing. Once one farmer does do that then I would imagine there would be lots of others follow suit.

If your frightened of bovines then stick to commercials or inner city waters where you only need worry about being mugged or attacked off human scrotes.

• Like 2

Calm down dear!

I wasn't suggesting that people SHOULD sue but rather that there could be a danger of it happening in today's culture of suing over nothing. I think you are right however that farmers maybe less willing to let people on to their land if they end up being sued!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I know I always laugh at people who have a fear of cattle but yesterday I did have a slightly unsettling meet with several nutters !

I was fishing a stretch of river where i'm the only person allowed to fish (not public). This stretch has high grassed bankings to retain the water when the tide comes in and stop flooding so I couldn't see what was in the field behind it without walking up it to look over the top and across the fields. I'd just swung my hook to hand and as I turned to walk along the lower river banking (making my way home) I stood face to face with a bull that was in mid stride actually tip toeing up on me ! I could tell it was in a mischeivous mood (not playfull). I stood face to face with it for several seconds before walking towards it but it really didn't want to back off just reversing slowly. I ran at it with holding my landing net staff like a spear and the bull did then turn and walk off begrugingly dissapearing round a corner. I turned round and started walking off when I heard it coming back at speed, straight at me. I ran back at it shouting and threw my staff at it. It then walked off but kept looking round as it went once again out of sight round the corner. I walked off chuckling to myself at it's audacity. I walked some 50yds downstream and thought i'd have another trott or two before going home. As I trotted my float down the glide I could hear the bull bellowing in the distance but with a strange tone to it. Next thing I herd was a noise like T-rex and looked round to see a gang of bulls !!!....not bullocks or heiffers but propper adult bulls and one of them was a giant with a chain hanging from it's nose ring rattling as it came running over the bank. I was banjaxed, I had no cover and no where to hide other than jump into the polluted river which I don't think would have put them off if they where in full stride. I stood looking at these very very intimidating monsters and my first thought was for my tackle, where coud I put it for safety ?...nowhere. I only really had one option other than jump in the river and that was to try and front them out. I walked towards the biggest of them but it just stood staring at me obviously in two minds wether to charge me or not. I tried to walk off slowly but they started to surround me purposly (they seemed to be communicating somehow which was quite spooky). I picked up the only things available to try and throw at them which was a couple of empty whisky bottles. I hit the largest bull direct on the foehead and the bottle just disintegrated without even making the bull blink. I finnished up running at the biggest one shouting with my net in the air. It did move but only as I got far to close for comfort. It didn't run and showed no fear whatsoever and i'm sure if i'd put it under any more pressure it would have turned round and charged. Luckily for me my tactic worked, but only just and I put some distance between us...phew thank frackin hell for that !

That was a very unusual senario and the first bull actually going off to get the others was wierd.

...phew thank frackin hell for that !

That was a very unusual senario and the first bull actually going off to get the others was wierd.

As a Luddite can someone tell me why there is a link on the word senario in the last sentence and what is skim words ?

As a Luddite can someone tell me why there is a link on the word senario in the last sentence and what is skim words ?

robd: senario is a miss-spelling of 'scenario', but 'senario' also happens to be a registered brand name / trading name, which has been automatically recogised by 'skimwords' which is an advertising / marketing strategy on the website (I assume by intention?) that then changes the words to a link which will lead you to wherever you might buy that product, if you clicked on it.

I know I always laugh at people who have a fear of cattle but yesterday I did have a slightly unsettling meet with several nutters !

I was fishing a stretch of river where i'm the only person allowed to fish (not public). This stretch has high grassed bankings to retain the water when the tide comes in and stop flooding so I couldn't see what was in the field behind it without walking up it to look over the top and across the fields. I'd just swung my hook to hand and as I turned to walk along the lower river banking (making my way home) I stood face to face with a bull that was in mid stride actually tip toeing up on me ! I could tell it was in a mischeivous mood (not playfull). I stood face to face with it for several seconds before walking towards it but it really didn't want to back off just reversing slowly. I ran at it with holding my landing net staff like a spear and the bull did then turn and walk off begrugingly dissapearing round a corner. I turned round and started walking off when I heard it coming back at speed, straight at me. I ran back at it shouting and threw my staff at it. It then walked off but kept looking round as it went once again out of sight round the corner. I walked off chuckling to myself at it's audacity. I walked some 50yds downstream and thought i'd have another trott or two before going home. As I trotted my float down the glide I could hear the bull bellowing in the distance but with a strange tone to it. Next thing I herd was a noise like T-rex and looked round to see a gang of bulls !!!....not bullocks or heiffers but propper adult bulls and one of them was a giant with a chain hanging from it's nose ring rattling as it came running over the bank. I was banjaxed, I had no cover and no where to hide other than jump into the polluted river which I don't think would have put them off if they where in full stride. I stood looking at these very very intimidating monsters and my first thought was for my tackle, where coud I put it for safety ?...nowhere. I only really had one option other than jump in the river and that was to try and front them out. I walked towards the biggest of them but it just stood staring at me obviously in two minds wether to charge me or not. I tried to walk off slowly but they started to surround me purposly (they seemed to be communicating somehow which was quite spooky). I picked up the only things available to try and throw at them which was a couple of empty whisky bottles. I hit the largest bull direct on the foehead and the bottle just disintegrated without even making the bull blink. I finnished up running at the biggest one shouting with my net in the air. It did move but only as I got far to close for comfort. It didn't run and showed no fear whatsoever and i'm sure if i'd put it under any more pressure it would have turned round and charged. Luckily for me my tactic worked, but only just and I put some distance between us...phew thank frackin hell for that !

I've just rmoved the Korum Stormshield from my holdall and replaced it with the Rigby .450 Nitro Express :bye2:

On a more serious note, this could have had serious consequences, and has started me thinking ... I wonder what effect a small canister-operated airhorn ( or something like a rape / mugging alarm maybe?) would have had under these circumstances? Small to carry and could always be immediately accessible in a pocket if needed, but it might just have put the wind up them enough to make them take off sharpish in the other direction while you did likewise, no?

And ..... what on earth were you doing fishing in a river that was so polluted that you had second thoughts about going in there yourself? :D

Edited by philocalist

Bloody hell! You're braver than me, god knows what I'd have done!

You could always throw a handful of 'sh*t', at them Andrew, preferably theirs, not yours, whichever there was most of. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've just rmoved the Korum Stormshield from my holdall and replaced it with the Rigby .450 Nitro Express :bye2:

On a more serious note, this could have had serious consequences, and has started me thinking ... I wonder what effect a small canister-operated airhorn ( or something like a rape / mugging alarm maybe?) would have had under these circumstances? Small to carry and could always be immediately accessible in a pocket if needed, but it might just have put the wind up them enough to make them take off sharpish in the other direction while you did likewise, no?

And ..... what on earth were you doing fishing in a river that was so polluted that you had second thoughts about going in there yourself? :D

Sometimes loud noise works them up the wrong way and gets them giddy and excited which can lead to you being squashed. Maybe a can of CS gas that squirts a decent range might be off putting for them.. Realisticsally your better to keep out of any fields where there are mature bulls lurking. I was caught totally off guard and didn't know there where any in the field, if i'd known they where present I wouldn't have gone in the field.

I couldn't trott the larger river as it was to high to trott my favourite spots so I gave this polluted stream a go for an hour or two. Even though the river is so polluted I do catch some fish now and then, here's a few from yesterday before the bulls turned up....

9lfq.jpg

uxop.jpg

715e.jpg

cby2.jpg

They were all only small fish yesterday but i'd rather catch small stuff than nowt :)

Edited by Tigger