Sailing Adventure

Vagabond

My son-in-law (husband of No 1 daughter) sets sail in a yacht (3 man crew) to cross the Atlantic (west to east) today.

He has never sailed before, but came through a four-day trial run OK. He is a climbing instructor, so will probably be at home climbing the mast, as long as he hasn't taken his crampons

He had never fished before either, until my last trip to Texas. Came on a fishing trip with me, caught the bug, has caught a decent l.m.bass or two since then, and is talking of trolling lures behind the yacht when conditions right. It's gonna be mayhem if he hits a marlin though

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

he`l be to tired to fish :( although modern radar (it has got radar? )can provide a proximity alarm it cannot see containers that float on or just under the surface ,theres thousands and probably are the biggest causes of boats being lost :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

containers from ships ,those huge things favoured by car thieves etc in shipping "hot " cars abroad etc , they are piled high on the decks and its not unknown for a few to go missing ,the water enters around the doors but as the rest is usually airtight it can float just under the surface ,if the contents are also bouyant it floats just above the surface :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

although modern radar cannot see containers that float on or just under the surface and probably are the biggest causes of boats being lost :)

A risk we all take when going to sea in small boats, Chesters - also there are whales to collide with, sea worms chewing holes in the boat, storms, mischarted reefs, adverse currents, and scurvy if you are becalmed.

Its nearly as dangerous as walking across London .

BTW Four members of my family have lost their lives at sea, but that doesn't stop us going afloat. After all, even more have died in their beds, but we all still toddle off upstairs for our kip.

RNLI Governor

• 2 weeks later...

Update - We have just received an email - they are now 1000 miles out, halfway to the Azores. The wind has dropped, so they are becalmed at the moment.

Quote "The most interesting thing that happened to us today was that we were overtaken by a piece of driftwood" :D:D

RNLI Governor

I think they are a scurvy crew enough :D

Latest is that they now have a breeze, are 700 nautical miles from the Azores (their next port of call) and a flying fish came aboard and went full toss through the hatchway into the cabin.

RNLI Governor

Vagabond:

I think they are a scurvy crew enough :D

Latest is that they now have a breeze, are 700 nautical miles from the Azores (their next port of call) and a flying fish came aboard and went full toss through the hatchway into the cabin.

Yummy - breakfast :D

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest is that they are now in sea-area Sole, moving Northeast under double-reefed mainsail. That suggests the SW gale bringing them in will reach the English Channel just in time to scupper yet another wreck-fishing trip |I have booked for Friday

RNLI Governor