lead from batteries

Guest NickInTheNorth

quote:

Oh and find a good iron pan to melt it in, sure I've seen one somewhere.

Anyone else with any thoughts please feel free to add them.

[/QB]

Yeah, I got browned off with old aluminium pans sagging under the weight of molten lead, but don't use iron because it is likely to shatter if you drop it. I got hold of a piece of steel tube about 127mm dia, 110mm long with 3mm walls, and got a welder friend to weld a piece of 3mm plate to the bottom. He also welded a length of 20mm steel box section to the side of the tube as a handle. It is heavier and thicker than it needs to be, but it will last for ever if it is only used for melting and pouring lead! :)

[ 11. June 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vagabond:

I once aquired over a hundredweight of sheet lead which fell off the back of a lorry :D:D:D:D

Errr, was the lorry just driving away from the local church in the dead of night? :D

(Perhaps I ought to explain for the benefit of younger readers, that when Vagabond and I were youngsters, the roofs of churches were covered with lead sheet and it was a common occurrance for a church roof to be stripped of lead overnight. Dunno whether it was anglers or scrap metal dealers doing it, but they certainly got a lot of lead off church roofs.)

[ 11. June 2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Nick, I've got about half a ton of lead behind my shed for weight making, next time we meet I will throw a lump or two in the boot of the car for you. Maybe sooner than you think!!!!!

Cheers

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

chevin:

quote:

Oh and find a good iron pan to melt it in, sure I've seen one somewhere.

Anyone else with any thoughts please feel free to add them.
Yeah, I got browned off with old aluminium pans sagging under the weight of molten lead, but don't use iron because it is likely to shatter if you drop it. I got hold of a piece of steel tube about 127mm dia, 110mm long with 3mm walls, and got a welder friend to weld a piece of 3mm plate to the bottom. He also welded a length of 20mm steel box section to the side of the tube as a handle. It is heavier and thicker than it needs to be, but it will last for ever if it is only used for melting and pouring lead!
:)
[/QB]

I.ve been using one of the wifes new stainless steel pans, the type with a copper bottom, superb is the word,the lead melts quickly and also the pan holds the heat for a while. She thinks it was stolen.

Cheers

Norrie

Theocritis..

Guest NickInTheNorth

No that's not the rush hour, this is the rush hour:

sheep_on_road.jpg

And many thanks for the very kind offer of some lead, that would be great. Hope to see you soon.

Nick

Nick, I dont know how you manage to survive the stress,what a busy place.I can see why you need a boat, to get away from it all once in a while. :D

Theocritis..

Norrie:

Nick, I dont know how you manage to survive the stress,what a busy place.I can see why you need a boat, to get away from it all once in a while. :D

Hey Nick,

you aint taking one of those sheep out with you are you? Elton will take up Davy's long standing offer of some real fishing if you are :D

My Dad used one of those old glue making pots for his lead making, I use a modern pot but only put 2 pound of lead in at a time. By the time I get from the kitchen to the balcony with the mould and then put some more lead in and go back to empty out the mould the lead is melted ready for another pour. A little and often works for me :P What have I said :(

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Speaking of which.... If anyone still has it, could you post a link to that sheep website that Elton created a few years back? :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.