An expensive day out

Ken L

Took myself out on the river yesterday and struggled as they had let dam water in. I managed a total of one perch and one lost chub in three hours. As I was lure fishing, I covered a lot of ground and had already had a couple of slips getting up and down the banks when both feet slipped as I stood on a bunch of slimy dead himalayan balsam. I threw the rod to one side only to have it bounce off the foliage and end up under my elbow - crack it snapped clean in two.

It was only a little spinning rod but it was a G Loomis GL3 little spinning rod. I've just checked the price of a replacement on the Cabelas website and they currently list it at $285 + 40% postage & packing + 20% VAT + Post Office fees.

I actually bought the rod in Singapore about 9 years ago and it didn't cost anywhere near that (about £120 if memory serves) but as you can imagine I'm gutted.

At the moment, I'm a little conflicted as to options but I might have to look at a mid range rod for now and see what the likes of Majorcraft, Evergreen, G Loomis and others have available next time I'm in Asia.

Has anyone tried the Sonik SK4 rods ?

Any other suggestions for a rod casting upto about 20g ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Sorry to hear about your rod. I lost my current favourite lure this weekend (only about £8 to replace from Poland) and I thought I had a bad weekend!

It's not a mid-top end rod but I use a Abu Garcia Vendetta 6ft 5g-20g for that casting range, it's not an amazing rod but definately good value for the price and easily handles all the lure caught chub I've hooked and any pike when I've bothered to fish for them.

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18048

Let me know if you want any further information.

Ken sorry to hear that gutting I am sure ,Steve Walker has a Sonik SK4 I am sure and if he don`t see this pm him....I know he realy rates his .

I have a SK4 fly rod that I use for Chubbing and it`s very good for the money ....even makes me look good Sterve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks. I look forward to Steve's input.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken

if you should feel like treating yourself to the best

http://www.gattiflyfishing.it/serie-srx.html

I built a fly rod on a Gatti blank and it was streets ahead of any Loomis blank I have used.

The blanks sell for a decent price and I would be happy to put a rod together for you.

It would just cost the price of the bits .

You didn't say how small your rod was but for a 7' 8-20g two piece on a gatti blank with a 35cm handle as No 9 on the factory rods and guides of your choice it could be built for around £150.00 That includes delivery and taxes and no import duty as it is within the EU.

It would knock spots off the Gl3

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The only cane rod I've ever liked the look and feel of was/is a short spinning rod (7 foot). Not at all heavy (as its not very long), a great action and going by its many many years of use, very robust. Not a clue what make it is, but its owner (vagabond) might.

I think carbon is a great rod material especially for longer rods , but it can be a little fragile and might not be my first choice for a short rod that's going to get some stick.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Why not see if Phone is nice enough to "gift" you one from stateside?

......or Newt maybe??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Ken

if you should feel like treating yourself to the best

http://www.gattiflyfishing.it/serie-srx.html

I built a fly rod on a Gatti blank and it was streets ahead of any Loomis blank I have used.

The blanks sell for a decent price and I would be happy to put a rod together for you.

It would just cost the price of the bits .

You didn't say how small your rod was but for a 7' 8-20g two piece on a gatti blank with a 35cm handle as No 9 on the factory rods and guides of your choice it could be built for around £150.00 That includes delivery and taxes and no import duty as it is within the EU.

It would knock spots off the Gl3

I'm intrigued. I've never heard of Gatti until today and you're talking around the sort I price range that I'd be realistically looking att. I agree that a nice short handle as per model 9 is the way to go on these light rods. I can't be doing with these great long things that you can't move around.

My GL3 was the SJR783-2 model so it was 6' 6" and cast upto 5/8oz.

Whilst great for chub, trout and perch, double figure pike in a fast current were always "interesting" and a fraction more power wouldn't go amiss.

Let me have a ponder and I may be back to you on this one - It'll also give you time to consider whether you really have the time for a build over the summer.