great musicians and the greatest albums ever made?

azrael

the united states of britain is known around the world for having the best music indluding many of the best THE bands.

great artists such as the beatles, the rolling stones, queen, sex pistols, tulisa, the stranglers, the kinks, the clash, small faces, pink floyd, the smiths, the who, the stone roses, mumford and his sons, led zepplin, blur, oasis, amy whiteouse, appy mondays, so much great music.

i would like to know who you think are the greatest artists UK or otherwise and what do you think are there gretest albums?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

I like sprouts but not prefabricated

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

iron maiden ~ number of the beast or piece of mind

Skyclad~ wayward sons of mother earth or Jonahs Ark

queen~ kind of magic

dogs d'amour~ in the dynamite jet saloon

as for the whys:

Iron Maiden are the definition of metal in the UK. recently honoured as musical legends as well! and those two albums shine like diamonds amongst the rough! superb vocals and banging tracks!

Skyclad exploded with a new vision of folk-metal and martin walkyiers vocals ripped into not only rocking tracks but a brutal and cynical political stab at the world! they faded somewhat on later albums but the first two are stunning examples of the genre.

Queens soundtrack for Highlander is the music of an entire generation; with track after track being imprinted in the publics minds it lifted a low key film into the stratosphere and set itself amongst the greatest albums ever produced!

dogs d'amour almost created a genre of rock blues on their own; trade marked by the lead singers "whisky soaked" voice you could almost feel the atmosphere of some smoke filled down and drunk bar where the tracks lived and breathed. recently re-released early albums fail to grab the grittiness of the early recording due to remastering and re-mixing but the originals remain raw and harsh.

there ya go....not everyones choices im sure but these are all albums that have really never left my cd player, Walkman or ipod.

Edited by kirisute

Highly subjective, and I'm sure everyone has albums they love which aren't at all well known, but I think it's hard to overlook the really iconic ones, most of which are there because they deserve to be. So I think I would have to mention;

Dark Side Of The Moon

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Brothers In Arms

Graceland

American Pie

Rattle & Hum

Automatic For The People

I find it hard to choose a Beatles album - White Album or Sgt. Pepper or Revolver I guess, but I don't think there is one that is head and shoulders above the rest. Actually, similar problem with Pink Floyd, I can never decide what my favourite album is, but DSOTM was so iconic that it puts itself forwards.

I guess Thriller would be in a lot of people's lists, I can see why, but not my cup of tea.

There is also a lot of music that I love but think of in terms of songs rather than albums - a risk of best-of compilations and latterly iTunes, I guess. The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Van Morrison, Clapton, etc.

Albums I really like and dig out from time to time that weren't quite so iconic;

The Beautiful South - Quench

The Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session

Dido - Life For Rent

Tom Waites - Heartattack & Vine

Karl Jenkins - The Armed Man

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

Robert Plant - Fate Of Nations

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

Currently listening a lot to Orphans - Brawlers, Bruisers and Bastards (Tom Waites) - it's a triple album of 54 songs that didn't make it to other albums. Some odd stuff, some challenging stuff, some great stuff.

All,

No one has mentioned Glen Miller (In The Mood); Artie Shaw (Stardust); Benny Goodman; Nat King Cole; Count Basie.

Geez, I getting old. I can't come up with more right off the top. Do I need to think about it?

Phone

Phone, unfortunately most of the music I have from those genres and periods is not in the form of original albums, they're compilations or single tracks bought from iTunes.

• Like 1

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Class class class,

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”