What are you reading at the moment?

doc_tench

quote:

Originally posted by doc_tench:

Well its been explained to me by my Daughter, wife,Mother, boss,next door neighbour,man from over the road at number 20 and a bus driver on a number 367, so i have promised my daughter i will start to read them.

I guess its just that Fantasy books just are not me(well not those kind anyway ) although i have read "Lord of the Rings" and could not leave it alone :confused: )

What a great success story its been for J.K Rowling though, a real "Rags to Riches" story and long may she continue!
:)
[/QB]

I used to own a kiosk on Bus/train interchange station and my wife and I saw so many adult customers with Harry Potter books in their hands, I suggested to my wife that she bought the first in the series being as we both enjoy reading. That was it, within a couple of weeks we had bought and read all four that were in publication. Obviously Harry Potter isn't for everyone, but just as obviously he does appeal to a wide section of the population - which must make JK very happy :) As you say, good luck to her, she has created a lot of magic for her readers and the way she has been rewarded must appear to be almost magical to her.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chevin:

quote:

Originally posted by doc_tench:

Well its been explained to me by my Daughter, wife,Mother, boss,next door neighbour,man from over the road at number 20 and a bus driver on a number 367, so i have promised my daughter i will start to read them.

I guess its just that Fantasy books just are not me(well not those kind anyway ) although i have read "Lord of the Rings" and could not leave it alone :confused: )

What a great success story its been for J.K Rowling though, a real "Rags to Riches" story and long may she continue!
I used to own a kiosk on Bus/train interchange station and my wife and I saw so many adult customers with Harry Potter books in their hands, I suggested to my wife that she bought the first in the series being as we both enjoy reading. That was it, within a couple of weeks we had bought and read all four that were in publication. Obviously Harry Potter isn't for everyone, but just as obviously he does appeal to a wide section of the population - which must make JK very happy
As you say, good luck to her, she has created a lot of magic for her readers and the way she has been rewarded must appear to be almost magical to her. [/QB]

Did you see the faces of those children on the "Idiots lantern" the other night as they were waiting to pick up the latest episode, there faces where full of exitement and joy and anticipation.Great stuff i thought :D

quote:

Did you see the faces of those children on the "Idiots lantern" the other night as they were waiting to pick up the latest episode, there faces where full of exitement and joy and anticipation.Great stuff i thought
:D
[/QB]

No, I never saw that but I wish I had. There are so many dangers and early challenges to kids these days, it is great to see that they still enjoy some of the things that kids should be enjoying. One thing it will keep them amused for a while - there are 766pages in the latest one, though my wife had finished it by Monday evening

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

NickInTheNorth:

corydoras, thanks for that one, somehow I've missed that book.

I'll be ordering it from Amazon.

Anyone that would like to read an account of Scottish island life as it was in the past could do much worse than read Bare Feet & Tackety Boots, and account of the life of Archie Cameron as a child on the island of Rum.

Nick

Did you order it? Has it come? Have you finished it yet? I finished mine in about 6 hrs and had that horrible empty feeling that you sometimes get when you finish a book too quick. It's a bit like the feeling you get when you scoff the last hobnob and don't realise it until you reach for another. :)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

quote:

originally posted by Sandtiger:

You said all that without mentioning Ether once...? My God Gonzo

AAH Double Ether :D:D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields