Zander fishing

Anderoo

Are you coming on the zander fishin Dave ?

I think so - see post on verticle jigging thread

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

. Despite being small they were in a very aggressive mood today, the bigger the lure and the more exaggeration the action, the harder they hit it.

Is that atypical? 'cos that was what I initially expected (see vert jigging thread) but you said not

RNLI Governor

A funny thing happened out there today - jigging along the bottom in 60ft of water, I snagged something that I could only just move. Eventually I got it up.

It was the drogue I lost about 6 weeks ago!

The odds of anyone picking it up off the bottom must be thousands to one, the odds of me picking it up must be minuscule!

Brilliant !

However, for future reference, remember Dick Walker's advice "If ever you fluke anything, never let on you are surprised - act as if you meant to do it"

ie You would have said to your boat partner. "Ah, I thought it must have finished up about here"

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

they were really aggressive today, savage takes and good hard scraps

....and again (see#153)

...or does the nature of the take vary ?

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

It varies and on some days they can be really quite aggressive but it isn't typical, and I wouldn't go expecting to get really positive bites or you could end up missing a lot of fish...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

...also once you've done a bit of it and you get used to it all, what you consider a 'savage bite' changes - even when they hit the lure hard it's still very rare to get the kind of wallop like you do from a pike, it's more like a short sharp 'donk' or 'rap'. Plus it's still very possible to miss the savage bites if you don't strike quick enough!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I miss the zander fishing - already looking forward to September...!

...and now it's only 4 days away! Really looking forward to it, got several new toys to play with this autumn too :)

Anderoo,

I agree with you on the walleye "bite". After your bait sinks to the bottom retrieve with a series of twitches and pauses. After each twitch maintain a taut line while the jig (lure) sinks back to the bottom. Walleyes usually hit while the jig is sinking. If your line is not taut you won’t feel a strike, sometimes you will feel a distinctive tap, other times you will feel light pressure as if the jig is hung up. Whenever you feel anything different set the hook. IMO when fishing with jigs a must have is a fast action sensitive rod so you can feel even the lightest taps, the fast action gives the power for an immediate hookset. Also a good case can be made for braid mainline.

Your next challenge are the bottom bouncers or "walking rigs".

Phone

Thanks for that Phone. A couple of questions for you:

1. what advantages do bottom bouncers have over shads + jig heads and in what conditions would you use them?

2. what are the US bass like when you catch them on lures - 'delicate' like zander/walleye or 'aggressive' like pike?

I'd love to fish for your bass with lures!