This centrepin could be a great buy for someone...

Tigger

Just looked it over and it looks like something iffy has gone on with the back plate. There should be a small badge in the centre and it's missing. It also looks a bit strange around that area.

does look a little odd ,but might just be poor photography .& the only reason too remove the badge is access too the spindle ?? .but it'll probably sell well .though its at a poor time ,best times are shortly after the start of the closed season & mid november .

i'm happy with just the one ,tried owning two but one wasn't really getting used ,or i might of been after this one ,that and i'm broke after buying a new Tv

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Hmmm - noticed that too, and I have a theory ... maybe. From what I understand, there were some reels made before they went into production - nice enough as prototypes, but not really in the same ball-park as the finished article - but pretty much identical to look at; I know because I had the opportunity to buy one quite recently at a very decent price (for a 'proper' one!).

The two main, most obvious differences were 1/ a silver metallic 'slug' the same shape as, and covering the area where the serial number is, which WAS heavily stamped with a number (I'm led to believe they all carried the same number apparently - I suspected, but couldn't prove that the back plate might have been some sort of polished casting on these reels), and 2/ the 'missing' cap. On a legit reel the number is on the reel backplate itself rather than on anything else, and the rear cap displays the Browning deer-head motif ... the one I saw carried a plain black (plastic) cap with the legend 'Made In Redditch, England'.

All pure speculation of course, but the reel I was offered was locally owned ... and the one on Ebay is being offered by a business trader who is maybe only 30 miles away from me, though in fairness he has had some really nice stuff for sale in the past, and I've personally bought from him several times without any issues at all.

I can see the number mid bottom on the inside of the backplate. It is in the right place. The only thing that I can see wrong with it is the small scrapes and the one that confuses me ...the badge missing from the centre of the outer backplate.

The missing badge issue has been explained further down the page, below the photo's. In a nutshell, it's a black plastic badge that is simply glued into place and must have dropped out at some point.

Nice pin though, I'd have bid on it myself if I had spare cash.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Tigger,

Take a look at these on e-bay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Browning-Revolver-centrepin-reel-Superb-condition-/231047299182?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item35cb7e006e&afsrc=1

There are "differences". Don't I notice a difference in the reel foot? The pasty "sticker" is different in different views (in the box seems to be gone).

Phone

All 3 look like Coke cans that have been submerged for a while to me.

The missing badge issue has been explained further down the page, below the photo's. In a nutshell, it's a black plastic badge that is simply glued into place and must have dropped out at some point.

Nice pin though, I'd have bid on it myself if I had spare cash.

I find it wierd how people will swoon over a reel that's obviously had a bit of mishap and pay top dollar for it yet a reel in perfect fettle is often ignored.

A few months ago a friend of mine was selling some centrepins as he just doesn't use them and amongst them was a mint boxed Browning Revolver. I posted the reel on several forums and offered it for £300 (what my m8 had paid for it) and no one was interested. I actually talked him into keeping it and if he does ever decide to sell it again my names on it, infact i'm talkin myself into going round for it.

I used to see Alan Roe giving the Revolvers a lot of praise and finnished up buying one on the strength of his comments as lets face it he knows a good pin when he sees one. After getting the reel and using it I can confirm that Alan was totally right to praise them so much, they are bliss to fish with and perfect to cast with, even with the line guard fitted they cast superb.

By the way the colour when seen in the flesh (so to speak) is great and not bright as it appears in photo's, it's more a deep rich colour.

philo,

Hummm?

I can't seem to duplicate what I was looking at. They are indeed the SAME e-bay item.

Ohh, I remember, "differences" between production and non-production.

I either need to show a little more interest (other than curiosity) or stay in the background. It is intriguing the interest you (collective you) have in these reels.

Phone