Traps for bait ...

Adam247

Hi guys been thinking of doing a spot if perch fishing at a few lakes and canal near me that I have found and know they have a large amount of minnows and mini species. If I was to use a home made bottleneck trap for the minnows as bait would it cause any issues with EA officers if they where to do a patrol? As I have seen a few other lads my way doing it with great success for large specimens yet they pack up as soon as a patrol is on the way cheers

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Could be u guess but I see then taking their traps out to , could they be using illegal traps of some sort ? As I know for crayfish they need to have a licence for that

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

You've seen the EA doing patrols ?

Take photo's. We want to see the evidence.

There are people on here who haven't seen one in ten years (me included) and thought they'd gone extinct.

As to catching small fish for bait, a 4m whip, a pole rig awith a size 24 hook ans a handful od squats or pinkies wuill see you right.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Next time I go I'll take pic with them ! Lol first I have seen any at all. I'll keep you updated - in terms of squats and pinkies can't get hold of any as tackle shop can't get any till next week

Adam , get the waders on & jump in with a large small mesh landing net & scoop & chase them towards the bank

you are sure to get plenty, It will only take a few seconds , Do it when nobody is looking if your worried

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Isnt a bottle trap a fixed engine thus illegal?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

On the lakes, I'd check if live baiting was allowed before doing it Adam. Chances are that if it isn't allowed, then neither will trapping.

On the canal, it depends on who runs it. It should be ok to live bait and trap, and a minnow trap will catch you plenty, but it's better to check the rules first.

As to not having any squats or pinkies, just hook a maggot on, then cut it in half. You'll get more minnows on that than a whole squat or pinkie.

If you do use minnows as live bait, then use about a size 10, thread a few maggots on the hook first, making sure you burst them, then a couple of minnows. The burst maggot will attract other minnows, which in turn should attract the perch. The free ones will swim off, leaving the hooked ones to be taken by the perch.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

if minnows are present in numbers it should be easy enought to catch enough bait quickly using the tactics gozzer provided

avoiding minnows is a huge problem never heard of a problem about not catching them unless they are not there

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur