flower names on a ship

Alan Taylor

Just wondering if any of you ex sailors could add to this one. I can only remember 2.

Compass ROSE and TULIP.

For the non mariners, the compas rose is the bit in the middle with all the North, South etc and degrees etc and the Tulip, as far as I can remember is located on the bow and has something to do with ropes and cables :confused:

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Jacob's ladder about 2 months ago, could I find its botanical name, I could not. Thanks a bundle. :rolleyes:

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

John Ellison:

I bought a Jacob's ladder about 2 months ago, could I find its botanical name, I could not. Thanks a bundle.    :rolleyes:  

Funny how 1 silly little topic accidently solves a mystery for someone

Alan(nl)

[ 30. July 2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Graham X:

Aren't there usually some pansies on board an HMS?

No mate, on an HMS they are ALL pansies, and the rest are just matlows.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I found this on the compass rose but still looking for others.

A nice looking case was made to put the magnetic needle in, and all around the outside were marked the cardinal and all the in-between bearings. Since this was the age of the Renaissance, the case was fancied up. Someone noted that it looked like a rose, and the name stuck. Now all the compass bearings together are called the "Compass Rose".