i need your brains!

kirisute

reels are made the same company that makes the rods! :) so the rods exist...they are ultra light telescopic travel rods

they are designed for the pen fishing rods! same as the mini mx15 rear drag reel, the new fd100AA reel (front drag) and the various others including baitcasters and a centrepin. the fd100AA does come with conversion feet to let it fit onto a full size rod...

its simply a conversion of the rod handle from normal to a "fly rod" design

as for my kit:

I have a telescopic landing net; telescopic bank stick; ultra small fishing stool and it all fits in or ties neatly to my fly fishing waistcoat jacket thing I bought a few months back! :)

all this:

1361125652282.jpg

now looks like this:

fuat.jpg

this reel will fit into the standard rods reel seat perfectly; its what its designed to do.....the chap in the video has simply modified his pen rod to have a "fly fishing style" handle set up.....the rods in the centre of the kit photo above are the pen rods i need to convert the handle of to a "fly rod design"

that's the end goal! ignore reels fitting or anything else...

its just converting the standard rod handle to a fly rod handle.

t6cb.jpgthis is a standard size reel put against the fd100AA! the new fly reel will have the same size reel seat as the fd100aa; so its designed for the pen rods

Edited by kirisute

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok goy it.

When using my short rods I use an extendable bank stick as a net handle.

Dont see the point in using a full sized handle as due to rod size fish are easy to land at your feet.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I guess the question is really why you can't buy a pen rod with a fly rod style handle as standard, given that you can get the reel.

I suppose the fly rods would be as close as pen rods get to overlapping with conventional gear - you can get seven piece six foot travel fly rods, albeit not telescopic ones.

Edited by Steve Walker

Have a look at post #14 here. This was a foregrip but it looks very similar to what the chappie in the video had done.

Pre shaped fly rod handles are available from guides and blanks though.

Reminds mem I must get around to finishing off that thread. I finnished the rods a couple of weeks ago and have the photos but havent had the time to post them up.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I guess the question is really why you can't buy a pen rod with a fly rod style handle as standard, given that you can get the reel.

I suppose the fly rods would be as close as pen rods get to overlapping with conventional gear - you can get seven piece six foot travel fly rods, albeit not telescopic ones.

That's what I could not understand and was trying to get at.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Shakespeare used to do tele fly rods. You might be able to track one down on e-bay.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

the idea is to have the pen rod do all the work..not have to carry a pen rod and a fly rod.

its more to see if I can do it to the pen rod than it is "i need a fly rod that takes that reel"

Understood - I think Rudd and I just don't understand why one would have to do the conversion oneself and can't just buy a pen rod off the shelf just like the one you are going to make - or do you think they will become available to buy in future?

I wasn't thinking you would have a travel fly rod instead or as well as the pen rod, by the way, I was just musing that short fly rods in many sections have been around for years, and they're conceptually as close to a pen rod as any conventional rod I've seen.

I think pen rods are great little things and can be used for a whole range of methods but I can't for the life of me see how a tiny fly rod and reel could be used to any great effect to actually "fly fish" or am I missing something. Could you really cast and fly fish with such a set up?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I think pen rods are great little things and can be used for a whole range of methods but I can't for the life of me see how a tiny fly rod and reel could be used to any great effect to actually "fly fish" or am I missing something. Could you really cast and fly fish with such a set up?

I was thinking along the same lines. It's a shame the video didn't show the action of the rod, and how well it cast a line.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John