Soon be time for roach

Anderoo

I don't know why but the bigger roach seem to show when it's windy.

On clear rivers, a choppy surface produces a similar situation to coloured water, in that the fishes view of the world above the waterline is restricted - this can give them enough confidence to feed in daylight.

That's just my hypothesis from observations on the H.Avon which is clear for much of the time.

Of course it might just be that they like to feed in the specific weather conditions which produce a good blow.

I doubt we'll ever know, so I'm sticking with my theory. :)

It's quite a deep stretch Ayjay, about 12ft along the main channel, and usually has some colour to it. It might just be the low pressure systems trigger them to feed hard, and they happen to bring wind? I really don't know.

I can't catch them at dusk or after dark either, again no idea why!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had three roach yesterday of about 12 or more ounces. I only guessed their weight as I was on a banking as steep and slippery as a church steeple. I caught them mixed in with chub and some very large dace. It was the last half hour of light when I caught them but I think if i'd been there earlier i'd have caught them anyway. They were in fantastic fettle, as good as they could get I reckon. I might go back to that same spot and have another dabble and see if they're still about sometime in the week.

I have thought about quiver tipping after dark but the banking is so steep it would be very uncomfortable and there'd be a good chance of falling in LOL. Could be done though so I won't rule it out.

Anderoo how long after dark do you try.

John

Not that long, an hour or so. They switch off well before that though, as it starts to turn to dusk. Maybe they feed later in the night but sitting in the same swim for hours in the dark doesn't appeal much.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Havent done this for a couple of years now. It was always on my local stour.

I would have a few hours after work on lots of different sections. Weirpools long straight glides deep sections etc so quite varied.

Put in lots of sessions over a few years. Something I am determined to find time to do again this year when the weed growth disappears. Just need the right river conditions then and me to leave some of the other species alone.

With it dark at 4ish I often found the bigger roach would feed as soon as it got dark but sometimes it would not happen till much later. The smaller ones always seem to stop feeding about that point. It didn't seem to matter what type of swim I was in there was no particular pattern other than when very cold feeding spell was short maybe only 10 mins. I generally stayed until 8ish. Normally roach spell would be somewhere between dusk and 7 occasionally as late as 7.30. after then it became chub. I have stayed later and caught chub up to midnight. Never done an all night for chub as I would not be able to resist trying for an elusive stour zed.

John

Incidentally Anderoo, being an old fens boy, The relief channel is making a slow recovery.

I have been back up the fens again the last 2 weekends after zeds. The heady days of zed fishing are long ago with less being caught unfortunately. However chatted to 2 anglers at top end of relief who had been there all weekend. They had seen large numbers of silver fish.

I called in at Benwick sports of soham as I usually do when up there. The owner asked about my fishing. He likes to hear a cheery opinion as a lot have been a bit down about fishing around there this year.

We chatted about big roach and methods to catch them. I got onto fishing after dark. He knows of no one who does this on the fens. No doubt there are some secret squirrels out there who do but not many.I have to say most of the silver fish anglers I see there pack up about 3pm.

They then moan about fish stocks.

Maybe something I should consider doing in my weekends to come there.

John

Edited by John Weddup

Thanks John, food for thought - I'll keep that in the back pocket for later...

Good to hear about the fens. Who knows what could be in the Relief Channel, such a moody strip of water. As a kid I had a roach from there that just edged over 2lb (I have a photo somewhere, I'll have to try to dig it out!), caught in amongst a bag of smaller roach, rudd, perch, eels, skimmers. I used to love fishing big wagglers just at the bottom of the slope next to the Norfolk reeds, especially when a big wind was blowing down the drain. The float was only visible in the gaps between the waves, and a bite was only indicated when a wave would pass and there was no float there any more :)

In the hot summers in the late 80s and early 90s I clearly remember standing on the bridges in awe at the numbers of roach, rudd, perch and bream sunbathing in the upper layers - smaller fish near the surface and glimpses of much bigger fish underneath. We tried to catch them from the bridge, but they were never interested in feeding, and we never fished after dark for them. The shoals were simply enormous, stretching from bank to bank, several feet thick, and as far as you could see.

Edited by Anderoo

I think I'm able to get out again at the weekend - it's going to be very cold with a N wind and the river is getting quite clear again, so it might be rather tough. But you never know :)

VERY good chub conditions, I must fight the urge!

Since posting on this thread I am preparing myself for a foray or two after dark on the stour.

Might even post results if I get any. It might be a week or two before I get sorted but this roach after dark thing has got me interested again.

John