Been asked to take a mates wegging photos

Snatcher

Pal of mine is getting married at North Shields registry office on Monday coming at 03.30pm and he has asked me to be his official photographer. Never having done this "officially" before looking for any tips,dos and donts team.

I will be using my Canon 400D with a Sigma 18-200lens. Will make sure the battery and spare are fully charged and will also have a spare memory card with me. I intend to do only handheld shots inside and use the tripod for the outside shots after the ceremony. Was thinking of keep switching between portrait and auto mode for each shot.

As back up my wife will be snapping away with my Canon PowerShot A700

Don't PANIC !!!!! :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh we were married there in 1974

my tips take as many photo's as you can its easier to delete crap ones than re stage it all again ;)

are you and your camera invited to the consummation later on ,i may pay for a set myself (dribble)

the lights inside can be pretty dire so you may have to adjust your cam to the lighting otherwise you may get a "cast" but playing in photoshop can adjust it later.

we spent our wedding night on a coach down to my mums ,my mrs sat next to a vicar i sat next to a brat who insisted sitting on my knee (mother was happy to encourage the despicable act) at the back of the coach.

i asked vicar if he could move as it was our wedding night (AHHH) he bluntly refused :angry:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Pal of mine is getting married at North Shields registry office on Monday coming at 03.30pm and he has asked me to be his official photographer. Never having done this "officially" before looking for any tips,dos and donts team.

My advice is to work out exactly what shots you want and write out a list. You know the sort of thing - best man and groom, best man bride and groom etc.....

A mate offered to be our official photographer but we declined on the grounds you can't go for a re-run if he goofs it up ! Mind you I could have saved the money and bought a new DSLR, and let him use it !

As Chesters says, take loads of pics and delete the ones you don't want later.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

The last few weddings I've been to, the photographer has taken more 'documentary' style shots, as well as the staged group photos and traditional shots. This seems to give a much better set of photos to remind the happy couple of what actually happened on the day, so my only advice would be to lurk in the background, snapping away taking shots of people chatting, drinking, dancing, generally having a good time, obviously don't forget the trad shots too :)

Some registery offices do not allow inside shots ... Check first !

As well as the more "formal" group and B/G shots, try to get as many snapshots as possible when they are not posing. Try to avoid the "silly shots" that are usually taken at weddings if possible .. far better to get the "naturals".

Once the formal shots are over, keep moving. Do not "poke in" ... stay in the background and look for that shot !

Use a dedicated flash if possible. Bounce it of the ceiling to avoid "red eye".

Watch out for silly things.. like trees growing out of peoples heads etc. Study the background as well as the main subject.

Keep the light source behind you if possible.

Take two shots of everything if you can, and check for the "eyes shut" shots.

Remember .. automatic flash shots are usually set at 1/60. Not fast enough if people are moving. Try going manual at 1/125 or faster, and force your flash to fire. Try a few tests at this to get the hang of it before the event .. you can always delete them !

Pictures of drunk people are not worth taking.

Consider taking a few black/white.

Don't trip over your tripod !

Make sure wifey keeps that backup camera clicking !!

Good luck !!

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

We had our wedding photographs taken by a friend. He was planning to turn a hobby into a sideline, and did it as his wedding gift. He and my wife's other workmates paid for the album. It was a lovely gift. My wife's father has worked as a professional wedding photographer in the past, and helped him out on the day. I think his experience in guest-wrangling was invaluable, the difficult bit appeared to be organisation, not photography.

The photographs worked really well, although our favourite photo was actually taken by one of my friends, another hobbyist.

I think his experience in guest-wrangling was invaluable, the difficult bit appeared to be organisation, not photography.

So true. If you are not a 'people' person then I would advise not doing it. Any fool can take pictures, that's the easy bit. Managing people takes knack and skill.

if the wedding is only the contenders and two witnesses there isn't much arranging needed.

note the silk tie my mrs boiled it when it got grubby ,it turned into a shoe insole :D

the pics taken very near to the very place above i wonder if its changed?

we have very few pics of the wedding most were sent to our parents to prove we could share a bed ,found that one in mum inlaws collection we had seen it just the once till i scanned it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some registery offices do not allow inside shots ... Check first !

As well as the more "formal" group and B/G shots, try to get as many snapshots as possible when they are not posing. Try to avoid the "silly shots" that are usually taken at weddings if possible .. far better to get the "naturals".

Once the formal shots are over, keep moving. Do not "poke in" ... stay in the background and look for that shot !

Use a dedicated flash if possible. Bounce it of the ceiling to avoid "red eye".

Watch out for silly things.. like trees growing out of peoples heads etc. Study the background as well as the main subject.

Keep the light source behind you if possible.

Take two shots of everything if you can, and check for the "eyes shut" shots.

Remember .. automatic flash shots are usually set at 1/60. Not fast enough if people are moving. Try going manual at 1/125 or faster, and force your flash to fire. Try a few tests at this to get the hang of it before the event .. you can always delete them !

Pictures of drunk people are not worth taking.

Consider taking a few black/white.

Don't trip over your tripod !

Make sure wifey keeps that backup camera clicking !!

Good luck !!

Wiggly. :rolleyes:

Manual 1/125+ will give it a shot. What aperture and ISO would you start off with Mr W?

:)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy