rod refurb

sparkyy

Hi guys just been having a sort out and come across an old D.A.M 9ft fighter multipicker rod do you think it is worth the time and effort to restore it or should i just not bother? If i remember correctly it was quite a nice little bomb rod. Also where would i be able to get spare tips to fit it?

Budgie and Sportsman amongst others off here are the guys to ask pm them if they don't see this ,Think Rusty also rebuilt a old rod think there is a thread on here somewhere about it Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Sparky

It depends on how much you like the rod.

Firstly, self build isn't a cheap option. You can buy perfectly good rods for less than the price of the components, unless you are getting trade prices.

Refurb is also much harder to do well than building from scratch. It is very difficult and time consuming to strip off an old rod and get a decent finish.

If you have nothing else to do and enjoy the process then go ahead but it won't be quick and easy.

Rebuilding the rod is the easy part. You get to select the components that appeal to you for whatever reason and make it what you like,

Getting spare tips might be a problem. I used to have a source in Poland a few years ago but they have dropped them. You can buy universal style tips that may have to be trimmed to fit.

So, as said, it depends on how much you like the rod and what standard of build that you would be happy with at the end of the day.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

post-1265-0-62480800-1383995314_thumb.jpg

Sparky

It depends on how much you like the rod.

Firstly, self build isn't a cheap option. You can buy perfectly good rods for less than the price of the components, unless you are getting trade prices.

Refurb is also much harder to do well than building from scratch. It is very difficult and time consuming to strip off an old rod and get a decent finish.

If you have nothing else to do and enjoy the process then go ahead but it won't be quick and easy.

Rebuilding the rod is the easy part. You get to select the components that appeal to you for whatever reason and make it what you like,

Getting spare tips might be a problem. I used to have a source in Poland a few years ago but they have dropped them. You can buy universal style tips that may have to be trimmed to fit.

So, as said, it depends on how much you like the rod and what standard of build that you would be happy with at the end of the day.

Blimey man your an old geezer like me ,the close season was made for rebuilding rods ,in those days you pretty well had to as the rings tended to rust unless they were stainless and they were mostly the squat ones not the high bells .

Most anglers would have gone mad if modern low maintenance rods existed (wink)

The hardest build i ever did was making a tank aerial rod (real tank aerial) the rings were easy but the butt was so thin every cork on the handle had to be drilled as the corks with pre made holes were far to big a hole to be any use ,ther was also the problem stopping them twisting as there wasnt much grip on the aerial itself ,j b walkers of hythe had a good living sending fresh corks as the problem became apparent

Ofcourse wine bottle corks would have worked and far cheaper but then finding the rings holding on the reel were huge compared so it had to be the right corks for everything else to work ,hell a lot of work for a rod used just a few times until i admitted it was crap and stuck it in the ward drobe ,even solid fiberglass was better!

Nowadays every bit you need is at the click of a mouse and not some hazy pencil drawing in a catalogue ,i still have a walkers catalouge somewhere i look at it and relax i dont have to send letters or use the phone getting the fine details left out!

Picture of a page from the 62 catalogue ,i was 9 and i drewled over it continually wishing i had the money to buy anything but the bits to make my own

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes I refurbished a rod a few years ago, I did it for a bit of fun and it was very rewarding to use the finished rod again. Sportsman is right though, the cost of the materials doesn't makes sense when you can buy rods which are probably better for the same money or less. Look at it as a little project to tinker with every now and then and you'll enjoy it.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/2298916-my-rod-restoration-project/?hl=refurb

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I usually de-furbish mine - that way they look less attractive to the light fingered brigade, they work just the same no matter how they look.