Mission accomplised

RUDD

Having not fished or even had the urge for sometime I was surprised On Sunday when a somewhat very small window of opportunity came my way and I came up with what would seem to some as a ridiculous plan.

Armed with a 13ft Waggler rod set up with a small reel, 2.5lb mainline, 1lb bottom, size 22 wide gape canal seed hook and a small bodied 5bb peacock insert with half a pint of red maggots well over a month old, a landing net and a few sundries off I went to the deep clear reservoir.

Now some may remember the my first session on this water was for Roach without a sniff followed by a cracking spring and early summer fishing campaign where I had double figure Bream, Tench and Carp, some very nice Crucians and a monster sized Eel, others may remember me making some plans to target the Roach I know are present from observations come mid summer up in the water (didn’t happen).

Back to Sunday; The humble Roach, the only species present in that water that I had not caught, a species as far as I am aware not caught in there this year by anybody and most certainly the most shy species in there being the only species I have not seen with polaroids on round the margins.

On arrival I scanned and scanned and scanned the water for a sign – nothing.

So gut feeling found me starting to set up in a deep peg until I saw two rises near a peg on another bank. Off I went to a very tight tricky and deep peg, plumbed up (12 feet deep), fine tuned rig and first cast went straight over an overhanging branch, disaster.

Pulled it free straight into a bramble bush, recovered a big tangle and had to reset up.

Second cast caught the bramble bush resulting in another lost hook length.

Put on another and knocked over my shot tub losing all my no 9 shot in the mud/grass.

Third cast landed perfectly and after half an hour not a twitch.

Recast and nothing for another fifteen minutes, in the mean time I spotted a Dab chick diving in the peg I had first fancied, I kept a close watch and also noted the occasional swirl of a topping fish. Another tangle with a small bramble branch, another tricky cast, not a sign of a bite.

Not the best of starts but I was in a world of my own, relaxed watching a static float and the Dab chick when rudely awoken by the mobile ringing. A mate had arrived in the car park with his daughter and dog. They wanted to pop down to see me and asked where I was.

Something inside clicked and I told him the original unfished peg as I decided to move.

The move was made and during a ten minute chat I flicking a few red maggots under a tree every thirty seconds and was sure the insert rose a few millimetres out of the water on the second cast. The friends left and I had around twenty minutes to tempt a bite.

Again casting was awkward but I found a technique and soon had the float tight under the over hanging branches, was it my eyesight or did the float move?

Yes was the answer as all of a sudden it slid away into the deep water, a gentle lift of the rod had me feeling the slight judder of a small fish, seconds later a pristine virgin Roach of around two ounces lay in my hand – mission complete, well almost, I fished for another ten minutes catching another two and missing five or six bites.

Three small roach that for around six ounces are hardly going to make the headlines.

But three fish I had to work hard for, three small fish that have drummed up the need to go fishing once more, possibly the three most satisfying fish I have ever caught.

Three small Roach that may open the door to the bigger specimens I am sure lurk in the depths.

• Like 3

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Nice write up, and well done. :thumbs:

​ That's one of the best things about roach, they can give themselves up one day, and can be the most finicky, the next. Same from water to water. I love roach fishing, although I prefer running water, I've rarely given up the chance of fishing for them anywhere. Whether it be a decent bag of them, a couple of bigger ones, or a few hard earned small ones like yours on a hard day, it's always a pleasure to catch them.

I hope you find the bigger ones. From my own experience, I've found that stillwaters only produce big fish for a limited time, then you have to wait for the next good year class to come through, (if ever).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Success is not always measured in pounds & ounces and there is always a lot more pleasure in catching fish that you have had to put some effort in to catch.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Excellent Rudd, and just when I was thinking how long it had been since a good topic!

I know that feeling very well, it's hard to explain sometimes but you describe it well. I reckon this is the start of a very interesting little journey, I hope you keep us up to date with progress.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

RUDD,

This one. - - - I really enjoy threads like this one. I can tell you took a little time and it is extremely well written and projects a lot of passion. I hated to spoil the mood by reminding you Brits those are dinks. Barely bait fish. Ohh well.

Phone