Kayak caught bass 52lb 8oz

Leon Roskilly

Salar.

It`s a good eating fish? Not as good as smaller specimens.

But, then again, its` the fish of a lifetime for the youngster. I don`t think any of us would have done any different at that age.

So I`m sitting on the fence with this one.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D:D:D .

Each to thier own chaps, and that does include eating habits :)

A more seniour fisherman MAY have returned the fish,....now if any of you guys caught a 12lb Bass in our waters,......would you return it :rolleyes::rolleyes: .

I fish for the enjoyment and fun, to come away with a meal for my family and friends is a bonus.

Haveing said that I do not take all Bass that I catch, some are returned.

Yakity. :)

My point was not that he was or was not right to kill it, thats to his individual choice and conscience. Maybe he'll look back on that moment differently one day. My point was that the story was not one of wanton, unnecessary or cruel fish murder, so please leave off the guilt trips! Anyway, lets not get into a heated debate about it, the fish is probaly eaten, stuffed or buried by now and its still a great story.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Yakity?

Any big bass that I catch go straight back in!

If you catch a double figure bass, its` odds on she`s a prime breeding female!! Definitely not a fish to be photographed in your back-garden.

Besides, smaller bass taste better. :D:D

But just keep the odd one for the table. Their scales clog up the waste pipe, and it takes for ages to clean them all off the worktop!!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi Spasor,

I totaly agree with you.

scales,....WORKTOP????.......er in doors dosnt mind that,....its when the guts slide off the top and hit the dog on the head,he then runs off with said guts smearing the decor on the way round the house, ohhh we have such fun here in our humble home :D:D:D

Cheers.

Yakity. :)

Not sure where you're 'going again' Salar and I'm feeling no guilt, certainly not for suggesting that a fish of that proportion might well have been better off as the subject of 'catch and release' Sorry it doesnt fit in with your obvious desire to dump all of your catch into the fish bin. Keep it for the cat do you? Now thats me making unfair assumptions about your blood lust in the same way that you make assumptions about my 'holier than thou' views. I doubt if a 53lb striper would make particularly good eating, a schoolie 5lber would have been tastier and made much more sense. It or most of it probably went into a bin and thats why I find it such a shame, a view that most of the shore and inshore rod fishermen on the US East Coast would probably support. For the record I've eaten my fair share of fish and released a few biggies to fight another day and the fact that a trawler just around the corner might have come along and scooped them up is neither here nor there. I wonder how you would have reacted if the picture had shown a 200lb common skate. Still I'm glad you've had a happy moment, doesnt seem to take much. Lastly if you don't want a heated debate , don't start one.

Oh and in defence of my right to make a valid point. 'Up yours'

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Amazing fish and sounds like the lad went through a lot to catch and land the beast. Article says he got towed for a fair old way and was going to cut the line because he thought it was a shark !

Getting something that size ashore through the surf cannot have been easy at all. Fantastic day for the lad and good luck to him :)

FWIW, on the American striper and kayak forums I visit, I have not seen one negative or sour comment about this capture; just a lot of happy excitement from guys who practice catch and release with almost every bass they take. With kayak fishers the fish rarely even leaves the water.

Wish our stocks were in the same healthy state where we could just enjoy the lads moment for what it is

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

...and this from the home page of stripersonline.com

'Shore Catch Charters lands a 58# Striped Bass!

Capt. Gene Quigly quided angler Rich Karpowicz to a 58# striper in 8ft of water this morning June 10th, 2004! The fish ate a live bunker, was weighed, photographed and released! Click here to see the photo and more details!

Way to go Capt. Gene and Rich! Not only landing a monumental striped bass, but also for releasing such a giant for our striped bass fishing future'

You'll need to go to the website to see the photos, but I suggest the sentiments expressed are close to what striper fishermen feel about their sport.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Argyll,

M8 i don't disagree with the whole catch and release thing at all, i just think it would be great if our stocks were at the level that uk guys putting back a 58lb bass were able to enjoy a youngsters excitement in keeping his lifetime fish.

Its just a boy who has hoooked the fish of his life. 10 yrs from now he may well be an advocate of catch and release.....

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net