Another blow out.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the wind direction Yakity. We have a prevailing south westerly down here. When its strong there's Swanage bay, behind Milford (Hurst) Shingle bank, upper reaches of Poole Harbour. When theres a strong wind from other directions there are other places too - just means I may have to travel a bit further with yak on roof but still under an hours drive.

I should be out with Zzippy next week - couldn't make it to his 'bass fest' the other day. I may pop out for a few hours tomorrow.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Sorry about your weather YY, i'ts nothing to do with me honest, see we had the same

5ezrkj

5ezr80

Seriously though looks can be deceiving, I checked the weather forcast from several sources it said cloudy at first, becoming clear with a wind strength of 4 backing to 2 or 3 by midday and the swell forcast said 4 ft.

So there I was today like you geared up to go at the crack of dawn (nice girl), gets down to the launch point, bit of surf but nothing to worry about providing I timed it right.

So I Paddle out into the middle of the bay the wind felt about 3-4 water was ok the odd up n down of about four feet like they forcast, happy days I thought stuck the feathers on and started to fish.

The offshore breeze slowly blew me out to sea, up to this point i'd caught three mackeral and five sandeel in the first half hour and I thought I was in for a good day.

The sun came out and the wind blew the remaining clouds away.

As I got out of the shelter of the headland I started noticing a few white horses, the wind was starting to pick up.

I was now about two miles from the beach, normally a comfortable distance for me, that was until I felt very uncomfortable, the swell picked up, from out of nowhere a big lumbering giant of a wave weld up drawing me backwards up the face of it and over the top without even saying excuse me.

It was at that point I turned around into the incoming swell to see exactly what I was in for.

Well I can honestly say that i've never ever seen walls of water like them, ok not quite up to perfect storm standards, but when your in a kayak that low down a 10-15ft from trough to peak rolling wave looks pretty daunting I can tell you.

There was nothing else to do but dig out all the stops battern down the hatches and ride em in back to the beach, there was nowhere else safe enough to land and with tide turning in twenty minutes I knew that it was going to make swell even worse.

Now i've ridden waves in before but only at the beach and no bigger than 4ft, these were completly different animals, they were comming through in sets and occasionaly breaking in places, what I didnt want was one breaking on me.

To get dragged back and then paddling down the face of one of these things was incredble 10 steps forward 5 steps backwards, leaning as far back as I could trying desperatly not to nose dive the yak at the bottom because if I did I would be out no question what an adrenilin rush, new pants please.

I can honestly say i've never really spoken to him upstairs but I sure made up for it today lol.

Wait till I see the weatheman. :)

[ 28. May 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

hi bill, hope your shoulders better. dont forget that low tide mark i told you about last year....its sheltered from everthing exept northerlies, and you are GUARANTEED a bass.

the weather was crap here today too... no wind, flat sea, 29c, beach covered with topless women....nahh youde have hated it! :P:P:D

best wishes dave.

Hi Yakity

Weathers looking ok for tomorrow, I'm giving it a go, gotta get up before the Grockles tho or I'll never park!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Thanks, Me too

[ 28. May 2005, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Good morning YY

Its early and I just got into work.Theres not a breath of wind.

So looks like you will all be out fishing this morning.

Hope you all catch loads.

Save a few for me please :D

Tight lines.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif