Any reccommendations for a combi boiler ?

Tigger

This won't help, but I see loads and loads of hassle with modern wall hung system and combie boilers. I not gas registered however I work with guys who are. The modern boilers are complicated and expensive when things go wrong, and they do, a lot.

I fitted my back boiler 33 years ago, two year ago I had my gas man take out the burner, valve and ignition and replace, the only other thing left is the cast iron heat exchanger. So hopefully I can have a few more years of trouble free.

Sorry to hear about you boiler problem, hopefully if it is just a leak and the board hasn't been affected it can be repaired. Without too much cost implication.

Thank' s Barry, I think all boilers are condenser boilers nowa days. I preferd the older types even though they were allegedly more expensive to run. Problem with condenser boilers is that they arn't fitted correctly here in the UK. They where designed to have the run off go into a waste pipe indoors but over here they're fitted with the run off going out on an outside wall which freezes up in minus temp's and stops the boiler working. I think this has been a massive problem and caused no end of stress for the consumer.

I think i'm gonna plump for my local plumbers Alpha model with the 8yrs parts and labour guarantee. I thought about it and at 1375 sqid fitted, that's 200 squid a year and no need to get boiler cover costing over 200 a year when your origonal cover has run out. If it's lookin a bit nacked it can be scrapped in 8yrs.

I think boiler cover is a propper rip- off.

but over here they're fitted with the run off going out on an outside wall which freezes up in minus temp's and stops the boiler working. I think this has been a massive problem and caused no end of stress for the consumer.

They are only a problem when not fitted correctly, I had a new boiler fitted in January about 5 years ago, it's serviced in January every year by the same guy that fitted it.

When he serviced the boiler last year (in the middle of a really cold spell) he said that most of his current work was from frozen condensate pipes, none of which were ones he had fitted - he reckons he's never been called back to one of his own for that particular problem.

Tigger.

I have seen condensing boilers, the condense pipe, fitted to say an outside rainwater pipe or into a sink waste gully, but normally the engineers prefer's to connect them internally to the sink waste pipework. Yes I have heard conventional systems being expensive to run. I'm not convinced in my situation.

When I fitted it, years ago, I was allowed then, the boiler is directly below my cylinder, that holds at least two bath full's at any one time, while my cold water storage tank is directly above that, nearly poking through the roof at the apex.

The result of up and down pipework with minimal pipe runs, is that I always have hot water, with two showers one upstairs, both run by gravity. No need for additional pumps or electrically fed, all my heating pipework was put in with minimal bends or pipe runs in 22mm. The boiler has 3 setting for output and is running a 2/3rds max So over the years, I have had me monies worth with no major breakdowns, happy, of course I am. My other advantage is that, fault finding is easy. And I always have a gas man if the need arises.

Again, I do hope you get back on line asap.

What about repairing it? I haven't heard of condense pipework freezing, if it did then the original fitter must be liable, however long ago it was fitted. Even the pressure relieve valve, when they go wrong all they do is let water escape, then normally the boiler shuts down to prevent a major fail. When combies first came on the market the hot water output was rubbish, if you went for a base model, so always I would go for a larger capacity / output to enable the boiler not to work as hard, even today.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

They are only a problem when not fitted correctly, I had a new boiler fitted in January about 5 years ago, it's serviced in January every year by the same guy that fitted it.

When he serviced the boiler last year (in the middle of a really cold spell) he said that most of his current work was from frozen condensate pipes, none of which were ones he had fitted - he reckons he's never been called back to one of his own for that particular problem.

This boiler I have now is only just 6yrs old. Problem with the condenser outlet pipe freezing up if fitted out side is that there's only a drip constantly going through it so unless the pipe is only a very short one it freezes and continues doing so until the pipe is totally blocked. It is a major problem throughout the country. The boilers where designed in a cool country (I forget off hand) but as I say they where designed to have the condensation pipe fitted to an internal waste to prevent the problem of freezing.

I converted an attic space the year before last and re -positioned the boiler outlet into the new waste pipe and with the run being shorter I haven't had a problem. Saying that we only had a few lows temps last winter and none of the really low temp's of a ferw years back.

I do know quite a few people (including my own mother) who have had the outlet free up. The fitters just tell everyone to go out with a boiling kettle and keep pouring water on the pipe until the ice inside defrosts !!! Then they tell you to keep your boiler running at a high temp to move the water through the pipe faser to stop it freezing...! Obviously they have been fitted incorectly but trying to take someone to court over it would cost lots of cash and drag on for an eternity....lifes just to short for yet more hasstle.

Edited by Tigger

DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH BRITISH GAS, ROBBERS, COST ME THREE TIMES MORE THAN HAVING A PRIVATE COMPANY INSTALL ONE, ONCE BITTEN TWICE SHY.

Edited by Lee Enfield

The condenser outlet pipe from my combi runs straight into my bathroom waste down pipe internally.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

The condenser outlet pipe from my combi runs straight into my bathroom waste down pipe internally.

Yeaph, that's exactly how it should be RUDD. Mines still out side but only has a short run to a soil stack. It's not frozed since I put it there but last winter didn't have the very low minus temp of some of the previous years...thankfully !

I'm hopin' since the air coming up the sewer and into the soil stack is warm'ish (according to my old friend my plumber) it'll stop the problem if we do have any severe low temp's. If it does freeze up again then i'll have to move the combi outlet pipe indoors.

I had the boiler fitted yesterday...an Alpha 30c. My plumber swears by 'em and reckons they're the best he's ever fitted and the 8yr warranty does give me a bit of security, especially since he'll do me my servicing for free and get the company to come straight out if there's any prob's. He only lives up the road so I can go round and squash his head round a bit if I don't get what's been promised to me :).

• Like 1

If it does freeze up again then i'll have to move the combi outlet pipe indoors.

.........or make it larger, they are often too small when fitted.

• Like 1

.........or make it larger, they are often too small when fitted.

I have it going through the wall into a normal sink size waste pipe about a foot or so across the outside wall into a soil stack.