GRAYLING BASH...TIMSBURY MANOR...NOV 12th

argyll

Great photos Dave!As usual it was a very enjoyable day.even the weather was good,must have been because Leon wasnt with us!

Fishing wasnt as good for most of us as it normally is. Despite the amount of rain thats fallen recently the main river was actually lower than when I fished it last year.I presume they had run it off as quick as possible.Possibley why the fishing wasnt as good? I dont know.

Started off in the same swim on the main river as I did last year.It was a lot quieter but I still managed 8 or 9 grayling and a brownie...er not including the leviathan shown in Daves photo! Used a longer rod (16') than last time.Didnt give me a lot more control and the tip found its way into the overhanging tree a couple of times.

Moved on to the slow carrier.Last yesr I took my quiver rod to try for the roach on this bit and was plagued by carp! this year took a carp stalking rod and didnt see a single one! DOH Did manage a nice roach of 1lb 10 ozs and a small rudd on a light Topper float set up though,So they are in there maybe I will try again for them next year (bound to be full of carp again)

As always regardless of the amount of fish caught it was a realy enjoyable day.

Thanks for organising it Gerry.

Who and whats next then guys?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Enjoyed the place as usual, a fantastic fishery a worth every penny. The fishing was not as good as it has been in previous years, did manage a few fish and my mate really enjoyed it (Malc was his name Ferret). It makes a change from all the Barbel fishing we do together.

We had 20 Grayling between us upto 1.5lb with loads of Trout upto 4-5lb. The Trout were great fun on light tackle as usual. We found most the Grayling were in the shallower water on the main river and hardly had a touch in the deeper water, could only manage Trout in the deeper water. The fast carrier was really sparse with fish and is normally stuffed with them.

Great pictures too Dave as usual. Did not chat as much this year and only met a few new faces, so sorry for those whom I did not get to meet, there is always next time.

Paul

Thanks for all of the input, I'm glad Dave had his camera, got some excellent pictures.

I arrived a bit late and then had a walk around meeting and greeting and seeing who was missing, but I still managed four nice grayling before lunch. Then off to Stockbridge to return a broken fly rod to the Orvis shop. After lunch spent the rest of the afternoon trying to find a decent pike or chub. No luck....ah well there's always next year. The main river was definitely down a foot or two from last year, possibly because the fast carrier at the top of the beat was blocked off to make a small trout hatchery at its bottom end and there was a lot of weed and broken shrubbery coming down. Presumably someone upstream was giving his beat a clean up and we were getting the trimmings. The carriers might have been the place to be and not the main river. But I'm pleased that others caught well.

I 'd also like to thank Chris for his generosity in supplying us with an excellent raffle prize and also the rest of you who helped raise £85 for Alan Taylor's favourite cancer charity, the MacMillan Nurses. I'll send the money off on Monday.

The next grayling bash I assume will be on the Lower Itchen, Probably someone will publish details after Xmas.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi guy`s, It was nice to meet some of you ive got lots of photo`s if anyone wants them. it was funny when my son misunderstood the fish grayling for grey allien and got scared. also was when some young girl stopped me in the woods and tried to charge me for walking around and taking photo`s she wasnt happy when i told her i was on a public footpath and i have a right to walk along there and my garden backs on the river so all i was doing was taking an exstended walk, ah silly woman go away.

reply to you

If you care to check the local footpath maps, you will find that the whole of the are Known as Timsbury Fishing is PRIVATE and NO public footpath exsists accross the area of Timsbury Fishing.

You were only questioned as to what you doing on the river bank as you had NO appointment and you were TRESSPASSING.

YOU WERE NOT AT ANY TIME ASKED TO PAY

Dont make up stories just to spice up your day.

TIMSBURY FISHING

As usual it was a very enjoyable day.even the weather was good,must have been because Leon wasnt with us!

Funnily enough when I fished Timsbury with some friends a couple of weeks ago, despite perfect October weather during the week, it was a very wet and windy day!!

We tried near your 'usual' swim first, in the deeper part of the river, then I went for a walk and saw fish moving around in the very shallow part of the river.

It was interesting that, despite being just inches deep, there were a lot more fish than you could see in the shallows, just the occasional swirl on the top giving them away (or a suddenly dipping float).

Despite catching some good trout and grayling from the shallow area, it was also interesting to cast to fish I could see, and watch my bait sweep past them, completely ignored.

I think Timsbury is one of those locations that you need to get to know.

Where the fish are, how they are feeding, will very much depend on the season, the river conditions and the weather conditions of the day.

Whatever the conditions, there will always be fish to be caught.

But using previously successful methods, in previously succesful swims could be the kiss of death on a different day.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

reply to you

If you care to check the local footpath maps, you will find that the whole of the are Known as Timsbury Fishing is PRIVATE and NO public footpath exsists accross the area of Timsbury Fishing.

You were only questioned as to what you doing on the river bank as you had NO appointment and you were TRESSPASSING.

YOU WERE NOT AT ANY TIME ASKED TO PAY

Dont make up stories just to spice up your day.

TIMSBURY FISHING

I didn't know about this situation until this morning and I've just emailed Timsbury and apologised on our collective behalf for the incident. Sandpipper, it might be a good idea if you do likewise.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Very true Leon.I strugled in the deeper water that Ive done well on in the past and most of the guys who did well found them in the shallower water. The normally very productive fast carrier did seem to be very quiet though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just nicely arrived home!! Ok, so I stayed in Gosport for the night and had a glass or two of the falling down juice!!

But the day itself. It was Bloody Brilliant!! The water is as I expected and is pretty insofar as it is in a wonderful part of the country. Have to say the fishing was not as good as I may have expected but a very nice man who was around seemed to know the river better than most!! And he was of the opinion that it never fish3s properly till it has at least another twp feet in it!! AND A COUPLE OF INCHES OF FROST!! Ah well at least the company was without doubt some of the best I have endured in a LONG time!! But I now know why I bought myself a trolley to carry all my gear!! I VERY nearly did NOT make it back to the car park!! The old knees were just a BIT sore!! But what with temgesic and a couple of glasses of wine it sort of all melted gently into a nice woolly sort of blur!!

Thanks to ALL who turned up, but more especially to Gerry who made it ALL possible!! Thanks Gerry and you can do it again anytime you fancy!!!!! I can always manage to find a rod or reel or summat!!!! :)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Gerry, Thanks for organised a brilliant day out for me and my mate Alec

At last I have managed to achieve one of my ambition of catching an 1 1/2lb grayling on a centrepin :P:D

IMG_0180-Timburygrayling.jpg

Anyway I did managed to catch 8 graylings all on the centrepin. Then my sport died down so I did started to move elsewhere to see Budgie to see how was he was getting on and I could not believe how Budgie managed to get a float in the tree!

IMG_0190-budgiefloatcockup.jpg

You might need some expert float casting Budgie! :D

Anyway I did thought having a go for the carp in the slow carrier and also the fast carrier as well but couldn't bother to fish it so I did wandering around the main river and try the feeder but no joy there.

My mate Alec had a cracking day on the River Test with some 6 grayling, 1 Brown Trout and 1 Rainbow trout

IMG_0189-alecgrayling.jpg

and this cracking Rainbow Trout on the feeder

IMG_0192-AlecRainbowtrout.jpg

Alec can't wait to the next fish in especially if any on the River Itchen! Mind you nor can I wait!

Well it was nice to meet to everyone or most of them! Especially to Dave who made my day last night when Dave posting on Budgie record breaking fish - what a laugh! after seeing the pictures last night on Budgie laptop! :D:D:D

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/