Lucky First 2 Casts!

AlderneyBassman

Makes we wonder if some of these Knockers are really concerned about fish stocks, I started a post with a link to a BBC Radio program about over fishing where 1000s of tons of fish are landed at just on port every year and the impact of over fishing around the world and only one person replied and he had not listened to the program with the result his posting was contrary to the topic.

AB catches 2 fish and they come down on him like a ton of bricks. I go sea fishing and not course fishing because (should I catch one big enough) I will take it/them home to eat.

There is argument that says if you just go sea fishing to impale a fish on a hook and then get enjoyment out of seeing it struggle to escape then take it out of its natural environment to remove the fish from your hook to then just put it back is cruel. Its not an argument I hold with but some people do.

Well done AB and I hope you have an enjoyable dinner party if your having a Lobster starter I hope you kill it humanly ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit of a long argument, the one over what is too much.

There is a public meeting over here in Guernsey on thursday regarding introducing bag limits on Bass for anglers (of two fish...) and increasing minimum size limits. i believe there is also talk of a close season particularly following the commercial fleets decimation of several hundred tonnes of breeding stock of a reef on the West coast of Guernsey where they spawn close inshore in the colder months. Hopefully someone who knows more will tell all and someone will post what happened at it. (I can't be there)

My personal feeling is that 2 Bass is enough and not more, i will admit that I have once taken more but they were eaten fresh by family), if there were a bag limit I think all people would agree at 2 fish. I love Bass to eat as I am sure Alderney Bass Man does as well. Well done mate and don't stop posting. it's always the minority that may upset a person for not a great deal (IMO).

The rod and line catches of breeding Bass are miniscule compared to the commercial fleet. Perhaps those in this thread with a strong opinion would like to attack the commercial fleet as well as a man feeding his friends and family.

Perhaps to protect the dwindling North Sea Cod stocks a bag limit of one fish under 5lb should be put on cod fishing (don't they call them codling??)? What would be peoples response where Cod are plentiful? The same as us where Bass are plentiful??

I am well aware this is a fine line to tread and hope I have not offended either party (or how ever many different thought lines there are on this).

Don't attack a man for feeding his mates. Attack the real causes of the problems.

Edited by FishingGuernsey

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Nice catch ABM :)

We all get jumped on for posting pics of our catches at some time or another. I am sorry but I don't take any notice of those ramping on at me for doing 'wrong' in their eyes. We are very lucky up here, just as you are down there :D we all have plentiful and not so plentiful fish in our own areas, and we will all do as what we perceive as 'right'.

Hope you enjoy your dinner :D

Just wanted to add my 'voice' in your support AlderneyBassman.

Please don't be put off from posting catch reports and photos because some take exception to those who wish to keep one or two fish for the table. Every angler worth the name has his or her own opinion, and will set their individual limits on keeping or releasing fish and which ever part of the spectrum they fall into, they should be respected. I am not speaking here of course of those so called 'anglers' rod and lining large numbers of bass for profit - thats another story.

I imagine that most using this forum are thinking people and are at the very least quite well informed on issues concerning fish stocks and conservation, even if only in the broadest sense. We all know where the real threat comes from.

DON'T PANIC

Nice one Dick,well done.

Why do we have this discussion everytime someone decides to keep a bloody bass, they are not the be all and end all of sea angling and around Alderney fish of this size are fairly common place, its up to the angler and his own feelings on whether to keep fish or not, not for others to preach as Dick says he doesn't keep fish in his freezer and two fish is hardley the wholesale slaughter we see in say match fishing.

When we are all holier then thou then we have th right to preach.

AlderneyBassman don't take it personally I think I speak for most C&R guys when saying just think about the implications of killing the biguns. Keep the odd 3lber to eat. They taste nicer anyway (so I'm told).

It also undermines our position when trying to curb the netters and weekend commercials.

Just my view.

Also all the guides I fished with in the Keys were fanatical about C&R? This was flyfishing though.

AlderneyBassman, how dare you spend your hard earned cash on bait and tackle and then keep what you catch.

What you should of done was let them both go, then gone and bought a trawler caught bass from the supermarket for some ridiculas high price ;)

You can't please everyone, this week it's "dont eat the bigguns as they breed, eat the small ones".

Next week it will be "don't eat the small ones, eat the ones that have already had a chance to breed and give the little ones a chance"

Even i'm dizzy and i don't really eat fish :blink:

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Thanks for the support guys and tuggs :D

As you rightly say Tuggs just as cod are plentyful where you are, bass are here.

I am pleased that the States of Guernsey are discussing a bag limit of 2 fish per angler per day, I would never take more that 2 in a week anyway.

This hopefully wont discourage the fleets of UK charter boats who come here in the summer bringing much needed income to the island.

A close season would protect the spawning bass around Guernsey found last year. The fishery report says it all 127 tonnes declared in 2004 as opposed to 49 tonnes in 2003!

At the end of the day I dont kill all I catch. Last year when we had the tope bonanza here I refused to fish for them as the only gear we had for landing them was a drop gaff so while loads of guys were getting stuck in (literally) I stayed at home :)