Wild Beavers To Be Introduced Into The Uk

Chris Plumb

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nasty bleeding Nature at it again. You watch, when they do this, no humans will be allowed within a million miles of where they are.

What next? Pterodactyls in Kent?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

"Wild" I'd be livid if they made me live in Gloucestershire. ;)

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious"

There have been suggestions that wolves could be reintroduced to the more remote areas of Scotland. It's a nice idea, however I would favour a pilot study which first reintroduces them to the university grounds of the London and Edinburgh based academics who favour it, and see how that goes. :D

A question for you all about the beaver aspect:

Beavers build dams across streams. Its sorta what they do.

Say one area that gets beavers has stream A running through it.

If conditions are right (the stream contains running water and the area has trees) the beavers will dam the stream in a number of places.

If farmer A-1 owns a bit of land that stream A runs through, he will wind up with some lakes where there were none before.

.. Does A-1 then own fishing rights on those lakes even if he had none on the stream?

.. Is A-1 responsible damage to land owned by farmer B-1 from semi-permanent flooding when the lake grows large enough to spread out a bit?

.. Can both A-1 & B-1 sue the government for damages since they introduced the beavers to the area?

.. Does B-1 gain fishing rights to the part of lake A that is on his property?

Elton - we have several Kent pterodactyls as AN members now and they seem nice enough.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It all sounds bizarre to me, These scientist sit in their little labs and so thinking up these super ideas of re intruducing long extinct species back into the wild. And most of these creatures are extinct for one reason and that is human persecution, Its like their trying to make up for our ancestors mistakes. Its to late in my book, The gone and leave it be. Theres enough strain on the naturel balance as it is without releasing new species on it. Like the otters i know they werent extinct just endangered, Now look at them on the broads now. Their time could be better spent on other things EG making our rivers cleaner. And policeing our water ways properly

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Beaver (re)introduction is back on the agenda.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7949733.stm

C.

Ithink it's a great plan. The European beavers are quite secretive and as there won't be a lot of habitat for them they are likely to stay localised. There are very few rivers/forests suitable for them any more. The areas will be selected carefully, so no harm likely. The main reason for their extinction was hunting for their fur - we're not likely to do that again.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

There was a bit in the local paper last night about this saying Natural England has recommended 5 places in England as suitable sites. The local one that interested the paper was the Forest of Bowland, the other 4 were the Weald, the New Forest, Bodmin Moor and the Peak District.

Heres a link to it.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

A question for you all about the beaver aspect:

Beavers build dams across streams. Its sorta what they do.

Say one area that gets beavers has stream A running through it.

If conditions are right (the stream contains running water and the area has trees) the beavers will dam the stream in a number of places.

If farmer A-1 owns a bit of land that stream A runs through, he will wind up with some lakes where there were none before.

.. Does A-1 then own fishing rights on those lakes even if he had none on the stream?

.. Is A-1 responsible damage to land owned by farmer B-1 from semi-permanent flooding when the lake grows large enough to spread out a bit?

.. Can both A-1 & B-1 sue the government for damages since they introduced the beavers to the area?

.. Does B-1 gain fishing rights to the part of lake A that is on his property?

Elton - we have several Kent pterodactyls as AN members now and they seem nice enough.

Newt,

The likely scenario is that Nasty Nature will inform the Government that these are special beavers that don't damn anything.

Once they do what beavers do, the damage will be put down as an act of nature.

If a decent lake forms, the farmer will probably be in breach of planning regulations and be dealt with by the courts.

This happens because we live in a 'free' country. Great, innit? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE