Lure Rod Help Pretty Please!

Phil Adams

I use a fox preditor for all my lure work, i got the smaller casting weight about 6 to 17g's, it casts big lures likes bulldogs fine though.

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree that it depends on what species/waters you're going to be fishing, and what weight of lures you're going to be using. The type of lure will also affect the action of the rod that'll be best.

It also depends on whether you're going to be fishing from a boat or the bank. If from a boat I go along with short rods.

If from the bank you'll find that on many waters a long rod is much to be preferred. This is because you'll be able to cast further if required (especially if the handle is long enough to allow two hands to be used), you can stand back from the water without spooking the fish, and you can reach over marginal vegetation and fish parallel to it - often where the fish are.

It's generally agreed that multipliers are better for the heavier lures, especially with jerkbaits. For lighter lures the jury's split. Many like me prefer fixed spool reels here as they allow longer casts. The cross-over point was often stated to be lines of .35mm, i.e. about 15lb mono. With the advent of braid, that's much thinner than mono, there's perhaps even more reason now to use fixed spool reels with medium breaking strains. On the other hand I may have ignored any possible recent advances in multiplier design.

Much of my lure fishing is with 3-5 inch lures as I've often got an eye open for a big perch. I also mainly bank fish these days on waters that need long casts. So more often than not I'm using a long rod with a fixed spool reel. Friends I've fished with for years have graduated on to muskie-size lures (and by the way caught bigger pike as a result, but few perch), and have thus gone over to heavier line, multipliers and shorter rods.

Choice of tackle is also a matter of personal preference. I like Argyll's point about your first outfit rarely being one you keep. Sounds like a secondhand one might be a good bet - if you don't like it you can at least probably get your money back.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve - the one major advantage a baitcaster reel has over spinning reel (errr - that's multiplier and fixed spool for any who only speak Brit) for lure work is when you are using soft plastics or any other lure where you need to be able to easily feel the slightest tap from a fish.

With a baitcaster reel and especially if you spool it with braid, you can lightly grasp the line between thumb and forefinger on the hand that is holding the rod/reel during your retrieve and can notice little taps that are otherwise impossible to detect.

Most of my lure sessions are for largemouth bass but I know perch behave the same and suspect that pike may as well - when they approach a food item (or lure) and simply suck it in and if they don't like the taste/feel/smell, quickly spit it out again. With most techniques that don't involve rapid retrieve (which triggers classic strikes) you can have half a dozen takes on a retrieve and with fixed spool, not ever notice any of them. If you are lightly holding the line and are staying alert, you can often strike quickly enough to hook the fish and since this eating tactic is more usual with large fish than with small ones, can really improve your day's fishing.

As a side note, the same applies to the rod so I'd recommend a fast or extra fast action rather than the slow/thru action that is typical for many longer rods.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've begun to amass a fair collection of lure rods, and I never intended to originally. :D

However, if I had to revert to just one rod, particularly with pike in mind, I'd elect to keep my Dave Lumb Fooler rod. No contest for me! ;) It's a truly superb piece of kit!

I couple mine with an ABU 5601C3 and 50lbs Powerpro braid.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'