Which Braid For Pike?

SteveOh

hi fellas....

Only just found the forum......

I've just started fishing for pike (deadbaiting + sink and draw) and wondered which braid is best... sinking or floating....

I've been to two local shops and they advised differently..

I've sort of decided on 30LB is that ok?

TIA for any help

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All braid will sink eventually mate

Breaking strain wise, 30lb is sure plenty enough,

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Hi SteveOh - welcome to AN and good luck with the piking.

The pike posse will be along shortly to advise, and probably argue about the best brands ;) I've just started using 50lb PowerPro for float fishing deads and shallow sink+drawing (fair sized baits) and it strikes me as excellent, but it's the first serious braid I've tried so I can't draw comparisons.

While you're waiting, have a look at the search facility up at the top of the screen. You might get some clues via that but I'm sure your post will get a discussion going.

cheers!

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Hi Steve - I'm a newbie to the forum too but welcome aboard!

I have often asked the same question and it appears that sinking or floating is entirely down to the anglers preference. It's a shame it's expensive otherwise I'd advise buying a spool of each and seeing what you prefer. I have only recently ventured into braid too and I bought a spool of Fox Gravitron and have found it very good for lure fishing. However, obviously my experience in braid is very limited and as I have a bulk spool of Spiderwire (80lb) on the way, I will know more shortly!

From what I can gather, the recommended line weight for braid fishing lures (inc. very large jerkbaits) is around 80lb, with bait fishing around 30-40lb. This is merely a guide so as I understand it, these breaking strains should be adjusted according to conditions - i.e. if you are fishing a snaggy/weedy area etc. I would say that 50lb braid would be a wise idea for wobbled deadbaits and static bait fishing provided the waters you are exploring aren't too snaggy.

Hope that helps

You could do a lot worse than Glenn's 50lb PowerPro. Its about the same diameter as 12lb mono. I use 30lb PowerPro, its probably a shade better casting but is more liable to crack off. Either way 30-50lb Power Pro is a good choice. Cheapest source that I know of is here at www.anglingexperience.co.uk

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I have recently converted to braid and bought 30lb spiderwire. i don't use really big lures so felt it was ok. one thing you might like to think about is investing in a pair of braid scissors as normal scissors make a hell of a mess when cutting the briad.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

floating braid probably gives you more options in that you can fish baits on the bottom aswell as drifting etc which you will need floating braid to do effectively. I have used power pro and much prefer wiplash pro in 30lb as it has a buch smoother profile and finish, improving casting distance etc and doesnt catch the water(when in flowing water) as much as power pro. if you want a braid that is high diameter, tangle prone but has brute strenght then go for power pro.

after a while you may wish to spool spare spools in sinking braid, drifter braid etc for different methods and situations but for now a floating braid will cover most aspects.

powerpro high diameter? i must admit i've never used whiplash pro (and probably never will as i like powerpro so much) but the last thing i would describe powerpro as is high diameter. compared to every other braid i've used it's the thinnest and has a pretty smooth finish / profile

I personally use Power pro in 50lb or 65lb bs. It's actually quite difficult to tell the difference by dia alone. I got a 1500m spool from America off of Ebay for £52 inc p&p a year or so back !

As someone else said they do mostly tend to sink eventually though.