New Rings

Scotty T

My oldest and favorite beachcaster needs a completly re-ringing, I was considering having a go myself as i've got no idea how much it going to cost to get someone else to do it. Has anyone got any advice on this subject???

Cheers Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

My oldest and favorite beachcaster needs a completly re-ringing, I was considering having a go myself as i've got no idea how much it going to cost to get someone else to do it. Has anyone got any advice on this subject???

Cheers Scotty

I used to make my own rods in the old days with blanks and rings. I found that whipping on rings was quite easy. All you need is a reel of whipping thread, rod varnish, and know how to place the thread.

These days, with superglue, I would position a ring and superglue it to the rod. When it was dry. whipping would be much easier.

You need to lay a loop of thread, open end towards the ring. Then holding the loop in place, begin to wrap the thread tightly and neatly around the rod and ring bracket, starting at the ring end. when you get to the end of the loop, cut the thread, and pass the end down through the loop and pull tight. Trim off the surplus. Varnish, job done. How many coats is up to you.

Cheers Scotty

:D It depends on who does it. Some shops will replace rings for the cost of the ring but most charge the cost of the ring plus £1-£2 a ring for the whipping but this includes thread and 2 part hi- build varinish which looks better and is longer lasting.. You can always have a complete re-build which includes scraping all the old varnish off and new grips etc. At the end of the day it's down to how much you want to spend. To be honest, I've built and repaired rods and if I can get rings replaced for a £1 a ring I'd give it to the shop every time. :rolleyes:

No need to superglue rings before whipping.

Grind down the ends of the guide feet to give a smooth transition for the whipping thread as it climbs the guide foot.

Secure with thin strips of masking tape and remove as you whip the guides on. This allows final adjustment of the guides for perfect alignment before applying the epoxy.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

Secure with thin strips of masking tape and remove as you whip the guides on. This allows final adjustment of the guides for perfect alignment before applying the epoxy.

Try using the small rubber bands like the ones used with braces on teeth. Much easier to make small adjustments before whipping than if you have them taped to the blank.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hpe these picture come out, they explain the sequence for whipping on a ring, or wrapping a guide as they say in the colonys

post-6213-1131748758_thumb.jpg

post-6213-1131748804_thumb.jpg

post-6213-1131748835_thumb.jpg

post-6213-1131748852_thumb.jpg

post-6213-1131748875_thumb.jpg

post-6213-1131748893_thumb.jpg

Make sure you prepare the ring foot and make it smooth as described and seal with 2 part epoxy, but not glue. You can get it from most fishing shops but if you have a problem PM me and I can put you on to anything you need.

Have fun, but be careful, it's addictive :P

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I re-ringed my two old uptiders last year with fugies, 35 quid per rod for the rings, twin pack varnish is best but the rod need to be kept turning while the varnish dries to get an even finish.

Dont skimp on your rings, spend a few quid if you realy like the rod.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

hi! scotty,

i used to rering rods in my shop as said befor i used to charge the price of the rings + a couple of quid a ring

its quit easy if you take ur time. preperation is most important make sure all the eyes are straght if you do it yourself i go for fugi rings £35/£40 tops i would have thought, not sure i agree with supergluing them though a small file and masking tape to hold it in place while you get going is best, good luck mate.

hello mate cought anything yet? grrrrrrrr!