Getting Rid Of Old Maggots

The Flying Tench

I forgot to chuck my spare maggots in today when I finished fishing. What to do with them? We all know it's very diffficult to kill the blighters. My plan is to let them turn into casters. Am I right that casters die quite quickly if submersed? OTOH I guess the birds would like some nice casters?

john clarke

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never tried them myself, but I've noticed quite a few references to using dead maggots esp in the winter, as hookbait and in loose feed or groundbait. I'd be grateful if anyone can give any more info, as like Flying Tench, we all end up with dead maggots at some time or another :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Freeze them. This will kill them eventually and when thawed they make a perfectly decent bait.

Or freeze them as casters. Some say that frozen casters get too brittle when defrosted, but that's not my experience at all. At the very least they're a good groundbait additive.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

do not leave them.... last winter i left a whole pint in my box for about 3 months...i came back to a complete sludge... that made me gag it when i opened the box...i soon just chucked away the baitbox

The Clax Will Always Crack

Ive got some leftovers stuck outside. Checked on them a few days ago and they were mostly casters, dunno where to chuck em tho. Last thing i want is a few hundred flies outside. Guess ill just wait another week then hopefully theyll be dead and i can chuck em. Last time i forget to feed them to the fish

I forgot to chuck my spare maggots in today when I finished fishing. What to do with them? We all know it's very diffficult to kill the blighters. My plan is to let them turn into casters. Am I right that casters die quite quickly if submersed? OTOH I guess the birds would like some nice casters?

i'd have thought that if they did die, you'd know a few tricks to resurrect them ;)