Pike Attractants

Crackin Clax

I have no idea about scents with static baits.

With soft-plastic lures, I do like to add some attractant because I think it causes the fish to keep the lure in the mouth for just an extra instant or two (not sure if it is the 'attractant' or if it just covers any unpleasant smells). I tend to favor soft plastics with salt included when they are made for the same reason.

The scent mixes I use are around $3-4 for a few ounces but a bottle will last for a long while since it only needs a tiny bit sprayed on the hands and rubbed on the lure.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont waste my time or money with oils. Theres nothing better than the real thing IMO. If I go down this road I use bait balls. I make these up myself by chopping small chunks of fish (usually rainbow trout) and then mix them with gravel. I then place them on polythene sheeting and then roll into a ball and tie at the top. They then go into the freezer until they are solid. Once frozen simply unwrap and throw around your hook bait, I like to put one in every hour or so. Especially good on rivers or big waters where theres an under tow. They can also give you the edge on coloured water. Hope this helps.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Heard someone once speak very highly of aniseed (sp?) flavours for pike...not sure how good it is, but i'm sure one of the boards officionados will offer an opinion.

I think attractants are another way for the companies to make money. A few slashes on a deadbait will do fine. These fish have an incredible sense of smell already, and the synic in me definitely thinks this is all about proffit rather than developing something fisherman will benefit from.

I am not saying they aren't effective, just that a well prepared and presented dead should do fine.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I plan to use some concentrated Sardine oil (that I got in Spain in February), against a control of an unflavoured bait and see how they compare.

I will let you konow the results of this experiment.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I plan to use some concentrated Sardine oil (that I got in Spain in February), against a control of an unflavoured bait and see how they compare.

I will let you konow the results of this experiment.

Can I suggest that you do the test twice? You could do it once as above, and then again a week later in the same place, but put each bait in where the other one was last time. That way you will know whether success was down to the bait or where it was placed!

Just a thought!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

To be strict, Tony would need to get somebody else to add the attractant and not tell him which bait it was on till afterwards. Then repeat many times (daily?) for several months.

I suspect Tony would be up for this. :)

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Even better

I will put the additive on Sue's bait and not tell her and see if she catches or not, mind you knowing her she will just murder me off the next swim again.

I wonder if sardine oil will work on Minnows?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.