Does A Lure Improve The Fight?

Crackin Clax

I went piking today and caught a 9 pound. But i was playing it for 10 mins..... its just kept on screaming away really taking line off my reel. I've had bigger pike than this before but had neva as good a fight as this. But this was my first fish on a lure. I have heard that the pike actaully fights more on a lure because of the horrible feeling of plastic it gets in it jaws and that it knows it has made a mistake..... Is this true???

The Clax Will Always Crack

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went piking today and caught a 9 pound. But i was playing it for 10 mins..... its just kept on screaming away really taking line off my reel. I've had bigger pike than this before but had neva as good a fight as this. But this was my first fish on a lure. I have heard that the pike actaully fights more on a lure because of the horrible feeling of plastic it gets in it jaws and that it knows it has made a mistake..... Is this true???

It was probably just in good nick.

Tigger

I personally dont think the pike thinks its made a mistake with a lure and fights better, if so then surely it would realise its made a mistake when its towing around a 3oz lead.

I think its probably the fact that its your first lure caught pike, the rod is not as heavy, and you are in direct contact with the fish ( i.e not towing a rig) and as tigger pointed out the fish may have been in prime condition.

it was in prime condition as it was a private river that had never been fished before in 50 years of the farmer owning it. I went to his house and asked permission...of course i gave him a few beers for the day though....It's almost like my own pivate syndicate now.

I really cannot belive how much line my clutch was letting out though. I had 12lb line on as well, so my clutch was nearly as tight as it goes!

it was in prime condition as it was a private river that had never been fished before in 50 years of the farmer owning it. I went to his house and asked permission...of course i gave him a few beers for the day though....

Now that's what I call enterprising :)

Good luck to you Clax

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

its like a massive stretch of wide open river, with thin fast flowing areas, plenty of different places. E.g snaggy areas, non snaggy areas, shelted, not sheltered...and there are some crackin fish in there which have neva even seen a ook or bait before so they are round my float like a shot.... Piking today was excellent there, nothing above the 9lber....bt plently of 6lbs...well worth the price of a few lagers !!!

If anything a lure often stops smaller pike from fighting! Smallish pike on largish lures often get the bait across their mouths and almost go rigid, you can wind them straight in like pulling in a windsock as they have their mouths wide open.

If it really took you 10 mins to get a 9lb pike in it is probably worth thinking about getting some more appropriate tackle for next time you go.

Tim

'If it really took you 10 mins to get a 9lb pike in it is probably worth thinking about getting some more appropriate tackle for next time you go.'

I'd second that wholeheartedly!

Well done on your good fortune in finding such a place to fish though Clax. Sounds like heaven! ;)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'