Commitment To Positivety

Gaffer

Hiya,

Sam I'm sorry that you clearly couldn't understand or was it that you simply chose to ignore what was explained quite clearly in the previous thread as to just why we still use a gaff. From what I can see is that you were ignoring the explanation all because you wanted to start yet another argument. The reason being that you have a major gripe with the people who are knowledgeable in the subject, I quite honestly believe that you would have listened if it was one of your own doing the explaining.

I took from the original post that you did not know and were not willing to be informed therefore that is where I came to the consensus that you were “out of your depth,” not in the subject but in the fact you had no ears (or eyes to see in this case) to listen. I truly believe all you wanted to do was have yet another go and deliberately asked the answered question for that purpose only.

The post this morning was totally out of order and so childish it was actually embarrassing. I would (as would anybody) expect an apology direct from you for that, not a false attempt at one but then again I can’t hold my breath for that long.

I have no problem with actually showing you why we do what we do, most people soon realise when they catch a Skate why everything is carried out the way it is and should you wish to take Norrie and Tiggs up on their offer of coming out with them or even just myself, you would be treated with the same respect as any other angler and the Skate get. I don’t defend anything I do lightly with regard to the Skate, I have put 15 years worth of work in preserving the species and to be accused of not practising Catch and Release because a gaff is used beggars belief, but then as I have said in the previous thread and others in the past a gaff can be used (providing this is correctly used) in catch and release. And before you ask who the hell am I to decide when a gaff is being used correctly I would say 15years of studying, catching and protecting the species in question.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my out burst this morning I apollergise to all that took offence and promise not to use such language again.

Davy I have re read the topic and all I can see is that as soon as I gave an opinion that oposed yourown you and your minions just jumped at my throte.

I am going to enquire about the gaffing of very large fish that are intended to be returned and tagged. I intend to get educated on the subject and if you guys will not do it sivilly I will pick the brains of a couple of DEFRA scientists that I know.

I will report back what the coments are.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

SandTiger - the post removal may have been my doing after all. I just checked and the 'close' option is right above the 'delete' option in a drop down list and since no one else seems to have done the deed, I'm guessing I did but if so, it was not intentional although I did intend to lock it.

I can see how that would happen - Thank you for the explanation :)

wots the point of a forum with out difrence of opinion?

ive seen forums wrecked by over zelous moderators, not saying this is the case heer! but it happens!

Hiya,

I am going to enquire about the gaffing of very large fish that are intended to be returned and tagged. I intend to get educated on the subject and if you guys will not do it sivilly I will pick the brains of a couple of DEFRA scientists that I know.

Firstly.. you cant get more civil than inviting you out for a weekend fishing to see exactly what we are talking about.

As for DEFRA, btw this info is now 3 years old but is pretty valid, since they started their sampling cruises, they have dealt with the grand total of 1 Common skate with over a 3' wingspan, SFPA are slightly better with 35 Commons caught during their sampling cruises. So as you can see there aint really much room there for them to come back with educated answers.

Sadly when it comes to Common Skate, the real experts are the anglers that are working with them in the field and every one of them will tell you the same.. Skate are not affected by gaffing provided it is done correctly. If for one second we thought that they were, we would not be doing it.. and I think I speak for all the skate anglers on that one.

for further reading, everything published on the Common Skate Tagging Programme is here

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Just as a follow on... would it help to know that the programme is fully supported by World Wildlife Fund & The Shark Trust who are fully aware of the tactics including the use of a gaff - I know this because I regularly talk to them.

Hope that helps to put your mind at rest regarding this issue?

Davy, thank you for your cival reply.

Im not making threats hear I am interested, I have been involved in massive tagging programes and have helped taggy many many bass.

The tagging prosses needs to keep the stress levels to a minimum, so I just wonder about the stress levels of a gaffed skate. As one person said they done their back in bringing a 100lb skate onboard, so if his back was done in how was the skates wing.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Yes that does help thanks.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.