Commitment To Positivety

Gaffer

Hi Sam, yep...mibbes is the way you come across sometimes mate...but not to worry..no harm done. :D

That fish that Yatesy caught was well under the 230lbs that he suggested....and was well stressed too...must have been out the water for ages,and they used a FLYING gaff to bring it in....they are never used by us to bring a fish in.

There was a big discussion over the web about it......will have a look and see if I can find it...

Cheers.

Norrie

:D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam, If your mags are in order LOL ;)

You'll find mr Yates 230lb ( ;) ) in December 2002

Tackle used: Dam 8-12lb light-line boat rod :blink:

Penn 975cs international

25 lb main line.

50lb trace & size 5/0 hook

B)

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Those were thorn back rays, they type of ray you normally get with you chips.

Brace your self hadrian, that last post 3will go down like a led brick mate.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Why all this fuss over gaffing?

We used to fashion big trebble gaffs with barbs, these would be slid down the line and yanked into the skate. Then we would haul them up the pier and stamp on the skates head as hard as we could. They are tuff buggers and would flap about for ages, even still flapping when you were gutting them.

Hiya,

As Sam has already correctly said, it would be Thornback ray's you were catching, not Skate (although you and many other people call them skate)

There are only 3 Species of Skate found in UK inshore waters, The Common (Blue) Skate, The Long Nosed Skate and the White skate.. all the rest are Ray's.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Sam. ,Not really interested in anyone who can treat their sport like that...shame really...dont think he can be very intelligent doing things like that on a pier..open to the public..... :(:(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Aparently it was back in the 60 so maybe he can be let off.

Hadrian, why were you fishing ruddy walton pier in the 60s?

I though everyone was off their faces on LSD and grass and into the whole free love vibe back then.lol

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam, If your mags are in order LOL ;)

You'll find mr Yates 230lb ( ;) ) in December 2002

Tackle used: Dam 8-12lb light-line boat rod :blink:

Penn 975cs international

25 lb main line.

50lb trace & size 5/0 hook

B)

Wow.unbelievable.

What a fishing achievment.

Thats why Alan yates is one of the top anglers in the country.

I met him once.

Very nice man as well as a top angler.

If I remember right the boat he was on had a door in the back so the fish didnt have to be hauled over the side.

Hiya,

I thought I was coming on her to do an educational post on handling Common skate.. it seems it's been pretty well covered so far :)

On small point.. a Skate is only usualy out the water for 3 - 4 minutes, less if the fish is showing signs of distress.

Norrie.. treating fish like that was common back in the 60ies & 70ies, thankfully things have moved on from then. :)

Davy

Wow.unbelievable.

What a fishing achievment.

Thats why Alan yates is one of the top anglers in the country.

I met him once.

Very nice man as well as a top angler.

If I remember right the boat he was on had a door in the back so the fish didnt have to be hauled over the side.

Yeah.. it would be an achievement if you believed the story, it's got bigger holes in it than the skate had in it's wings ;)

The fish was not 230lb, this was a guestimate made by someone that had only seen skate to 180lb over 10 years previous. The fish would have most likely have been around the 200lb - 210lb max, still a cracking fish by any standards.

small things like why would a Top Angler be using 25lb (MONO) line on a light line 12lb class outfit, what about the 50lb class outfit that was supposedly tangled with the line who wound that in at the same time and just how much of the strain did they take????

It may or may not have been hauled over the side but the 2 large gaff holes from the large barbed flying gaffs that were used in the middle of the wings, cunningly covered up on the cover by writing on one side and Alan's hand on the other. They will have done more damage to the fish than hauling it over the gunnel's would have.

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy